Hello from Kansas City MO

Skeaterbait

Hi All,

I have been on another forum for a while and driving everyone crazy with my redundant newb questions, but I recently found this forum so I thought I would join in and plague a new group of people (and probably some of the same ones).

I am very new to knife making (stock removal) and have only one semi completed knife to my arsenal. Through the process of making that one I have learned a lot about steel, the first lesson is not to start with 1095. I have built a two brick forge and made a naturally aspirated burner. I quickly found out that I am too lazy to use a file jig so I bought a 2x42 grinder but looking forward to being able to afford a 2x72.

So, I now have some 1084 in hand and ready to start a new project which, I am sure, will generate a whole new set of redundant questions for everyone here to suffer through.

Skeaterbait (Lonnie)

Lots of mistakes and aesthetic lessons in this one. It's 1095 steel that I did the best I could for heat treat in a forge (a bit past non-magnetic and quench in warmed canola). It gets wicked sharp but doesn't appear to be holding it well.

I used Aquafortis on the rock maple and found that it does really cool stuff to the steel. At least it would be cool if I was prepared for it so now it's just out of place. I also found out that taping the blade will not necessarily hold the stain at bay so there is some spots at the front of the handle.

6° bevel and 25° edge. I did take out to play for a bit and it chops pretty good, which is ironic. I am a firm believer that, save a true survival situation, the only thing a knife should chop is what's going in the stew pot.

campknife_1.jpgcampknife_2.jpgcampknife_3.jpgcampknife_4.jpg

Last edited:
I actually think that's pretty darn good for a first, better than a lot of "firsts". But, hey, you now know several things "not" to do next time. I started with O1 and later tried 1095, I think the O1 was easier to HT.

Welcome to the pound. There's a great group of guys here with tons of great advice.
That looks great for a first knife. I found that you learn exponentially quick on the first couple. I also started with 1095 in a simple two brick forge with canola oil. I'm still an beginner, so take it with a grain of salt, but this is what I've noticed so far with 1095 and a simple forge. If you soak it at nonmagnetic for a minute or two before quenching 1095 seems to harden much better. Also it depends where you check for nonmagnetic, if you check out on the tip it gets nonmagnetic a bit sooner than up towards the start of the blade. Furthermore, it seems like my sweet spot for temp on canola oil is between 130-140 degrees. If i go cooler i get a lot of vapor bubbles, if i go hotter it doesn't seem to get as hard. I just switched to 1084 on my last couple and that seems to be much less picky on the heat treat.

-Aaron

Thanks. I have a supply of 1084 now as well. Going to start working with it when I get home today.

I appreciate the tips as well.

Welcome aboard Lonnie! There are several of us that hang out around here from the KC area that only have a year or 2 under our belts.

Make sure you keep the weekend of Sept 18 open as KC is hosting the International Custom Cutlery Exposition.
You might also check out http://kansasknives.org/ It is a really good group of guys I found about a year ago. Experience within the group ranges from guys just starting out to ABS Mastersmiths with decades of experience.

Chris

Lonnie,
Welcome to KD. Stick around and ask as many questions as you like.
Hey you should come to the the International Custom Cutlery Show this September in Kansas City Mo. It should be easy for you and guaranteed to make your head spin. Hope to see you there, stop by my table and shake hands.

Welcome to the pound!

I started forging just over 3 years ago. 1084 was my first steel of choice back then. My forge is a 2 brick design that works very well. There is a wealth of information here to read. You will be surprised at what the search function will turn up. When I don't understand what I read, I have always got help from everyone here.

I've probably driven a few Dogs wild with my PMs and other communications.

This is one of the friendliest groups on the web

Just give a holler and you'll have more help than you can handle!

Back