What's going on in your shop?

John, I was wondering... I'm sure you have one main dust port right under your bottom wheel to catch most of the dust. Would it help if there was an additional 2" Y or so with a port right on the drive wheel to catch the stuff that travels with the belt. Trying to plan my setup, so I've got a big closet of sorts framed out that will hold my new compressor and a dust collector. It's on the opposite side of the wall from my 2x72, surface grinder, and sand blasting cabinet. That's really the only tools it will be used for, with maybe a dustpan port down on the floor. I'll probably put a T in before the filter so in nice weather I can just exhaust it straight outside.

yep i have a "funnel" which is actually an 8 inch or so floor register duct directly under the wheel / platen where most guys put their water bucket.

i wouldn't even worry about a second inlet on the grinder. not enough rides the belt to worry about. i have to do a bunch of grinding to get any dust to build up on my bench.

i have a second inlet under my disc grinder. each inlet funnel has a slide gate (shutoff) so that i can maximize the suction at the machine i'm working on. that's another reason not to have extraneous inlets around the grinder- it would rob cfm from the primary funnel.

i originally intended to blow the dust right through the wall and forego the collection bag altogether. I still may do that, but i hooked the bag up to buy myself time to make a port through my wall and was shocked by how well the bag worked. It worked so well i never got around to busting a hole in the wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally getting more done on the new shop since we moved. Put up a wall today, taking another day Friday to do some electrical work....I miss making knives.
c0a22bcad2b8b705ebc57e900824e624.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Getting some work don't on a fun 1095 chef knife with redwood and copper it's looking cool. I'm having way to much fun...Why is this so darn fun? Knife making just gets better and better.

c3b478a6fe9cebeac0e1e5d635d543cf.jpg

Still rough, I haven't watched the blade yet either but wanted to share a few pictures...
3f8408d0778bb91711e3f501e2be411e.jpg

Edit: I look like a dusty mess in that first picture! Haha. Good times

Well this only took three hours to fit- yikes.... Tremendous respect to those tradional makers that fit rombic cross sections regularly...I don't find it very easy myself. Seems like wire EDM would work nicely but that's expensive and cheating-LOL. I'm pretty happy with the fit of the puukko bolster though considering, lots of slow going though. Measuring and remeasuring...

d611c49acef5fb7d703c0a2d3b4f090a.jpg

e13c8cc66e2ec10c0cf194d1ba305f84.jpg

82291ae083d9d8a9283ce565d959b598.jpg

Now it's relitivly easy sailing

What's that movie with Tom Hanks, Money Pit? Here's a little more progress on my shop.
[video=youtube_share;GueuloPHe9I]https://youtu.be/GueuloPHe9I[/video]

Looking good Daniel, Nice video Anthony.
I got the outlets all wired up in my shop, wait til next pay day to run the wiring for lights and I think I want to run me power for a oven to.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Daniel, I think you may have stepped over to the dark side, making puukko knives. That really looks nice so far. I'm eager to see it finished.

Daniel,

I'm curious. Why is your hole in the brass in the shape of the blade and not just in the shape of the tang so the blade will just butt up against the brass. Looks good and I love the challenge and artistic requirements of a Puukko. I love the wood and the leather and a Puukko give me a balance between working steel and working those so enjoy yourself on the "Dark Side".

Wallace

Daniel,

I'm curious. Why is your hole in the brass in the shape of the blade and not just in the shape of the tang so the blade will just butt up against the brass. Looks good and I love the challenge and artistic requirements of a Puukko. I love the wood and the leather and a Puukko give me a balance between working steel and working those so enjoy yourself on the "Dark Side".

Wallace
This blade style doesn't actually have any plunges or flat "ricassso" area to make a nice place for the guard so I have to make the hole in that shape to get a nice clean fit all the way around the blade...I'll get another shot of it latter and it should make sense...

Daniel, I think you may have stepped over to the dark side, making puukko knives. That really looks nice so far. I'm eager to see it finished.
Thanks Jim! There fun knives to make but fitting a guard like this is....scary. I'm going for a birch bark handle on it...

OTHER than the puukko...and chef and a chopper and some others...haha way to busy...two of my latest Carter Pattern Neckers...Just thought I'd share:

This one is a pretty simple user with Brown canvas Micarta w/ White and Forest Green Liners and deferentially heat treated 1095 7 1/2" overall
32710730982_0fcf15c220_c.jpg

32710731732_3cd04a3200_c.jpg

32864297655_2c4a8cabb3_c.jpg

....AND this one is Jade G10 with Micarta liners and same as the above one...

32021305654_653a98704e_c.jpg

32049398873_93a2dbd839_c.jpg

32021304804_a3050062b5_c.jpg

Eh. Nothin to earth shatterin or shnazzy but thought Id share...just cause

Hope you like em':thumbup:

Really want to go to the Little Rock knife show this weekend, but I figured that the money I would spend would be better used in the shop. Started putting up a French cleat wall system tonight. This room will be my primary knife making area with about 25 feet of wall like this. I really intend to be better organized in the future. I'm going to paint the cleats wall color so they'll blend in better and keep the room bright. Got a zillion screw holes to putty up tomorrow!
french cleat.jpg

Hey Anthony...your shop is starting to look real fancy...with the way you use 2x4s I'm sure it is costing less than it looks. Good job!

I'm still working on my remodel....man I never would have thought it would take so long....sigh.

Made some templates of some new designs I've been working on. Still need to do some tweaking but I'm excited to start on them.
014572c5af98030dca93db4c14ed1700.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks Ted. I figured you can't be to organized, so Sunday I put up 20 more feet of cleats. I'm at the shop putting on a coat of primer right now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 23
Made some templates of some new designs I've been working on. Still need to do some tweaking but I'm excited to start on them.
014572c5af98030dca93db4c14ed1700.jpg

Very nice designs. Question: on your shorter chef knife (2nd from left) that's a lot of belly. Any reason why the shorter knife has a german belly versus the larger, more french aspect, chef knife? Just curious.

Anthony...totally agree. I am a messy worker. When on a project I don't even see the havoc I am creating. Having places to neatly store things helps greatly....

The other thing is...Now is the time to put up those cleats. Even if you do not use them all they give you choices as to WHERE you want to place things. They are visually very clean looking and add a nice linear feel to the walls...rock on!

Last edited:
Very nice designs. Question: on your shorter chef knife (2nd from left) that's a lot of belly. Any reason why the shorter knife has a german belly versus the larger, more french aspect, chef knife? Just curious.
Good catch. That happens when you think you can clean the profile of your template up by running it length wise on a 36 grit slack belt. The original drawing, admittedly, has more belly than the larger knife, but not that much.
I sometimes struggle with drawing a design with less belly. Seems like no matter how hard I try my brain just wants that belly in the blade lol.

Back