What's going on in your shop?

Just finished up this custom order!

411719461.jpg

DR....
That is on point Daniel!

Man I need to get in the shop. Been busy at work and the house, sick kids....at least next week I have 3 days off work so I'm going to try and get some stuff done!

Stunning! I've used koa a couple times and I think is has became my favorite wood. But, I've never had a piece quite that nice though.

Anthony, there's nothing like it for sure. Hey, I've got a bunch of it this quality for sale at great prices wink, wink, nudge, nudge. ;)

Shoot me an email if you're ever interested in some and I'll give you a nice price.

Sm Wheel 1.jpgSm Wheel 2.jpgKnife Projects.jpg
Well-nothing to brag about, but I'm stoked- just built a quick small wheel attachment and it didn't cost me a dime. I even have enough shaft left to put together a couple of other size wheels if I find the right material.
The knives pictured (sorry for the crummy phone pics) are: an old Solingen that I'm kind of restoring-came with no leather or guard. and a Tanto I really need to finish for my son. It's 5160. He brought some burlap home from a job- used to cover concrete. I made the 'Mycarta' out of that. Makes it a little more personal!? I should have some 1084 from Aldo by Friday- am hoping to get focused and make myself do 4 or 5 at one time-of one design- to build my skills. Someone here recommended that awhile back and it seemed to make sense (But I promised my son I'd finish his first:shush:)
Bill

Lighting. I finally got to the point I couldn't stand my lack of good lighting at the grinder. I had one of those gooseneck type lamps but it really didn't go high enough and was mounted on the left side. Seems like I spend as time messing with the light position as I do grinding.

Went to Lowes this morning in search of something better and picked up a 3 bulb track light for $29. Mounted it on a 2x4 and suspended it above the grinder in a way I can move it around to get it just right. I bought the more expensive 1100 lumen halogen floodlight bulbs. Holy smokes!!! What a difference, may have to grind with sunglasses on now. Last 2 pics are before and after.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Anthony, it is apparent your grinding future is so bright you gotta wear shades. Lol looks awesome. I just use a 4 ft 2 bulb led shop light above my work space but there still is a shadow. Not a bad idea ti use the track lights.

Strayed from my usual patterns a bit. Wanted to add a bit more variety on my show table this weekend.

UyFSNUM.jpg

boUzZTa.jpg

Not in my shop, but at the craft show this morning. Thought I'd finally show you guys my ugly mug!
p7BD8Ak.jpg

Chris

Nice call on the lighting Anthony. It's one of THE most important things in knifemaking. Different types of good lighting will make you a better knife maker, believe it or not.

20151010_194659.jpg

20151010_194247.jpg

Sitting in the shop hand rubbing BLO into a Black Palm handle, while listening to country music. Great way to exercise your fingers and drink some fresh lemonaid.

Cheers!

Lighting. I finally got to the point I couldn't stand my lack of good lighting at the grinder. I had one of those gooseneck type lamps but it really didn't go high enough and was mounted on the left side. Seems like I spend as time messing with the light position as I do grinding.

Went to Lowes this morning in search of something better and picked up a 3 bulb track light for $29. Mounted it on a 2x4 and suspended it above the grinder in a way I can move it around to get it just right. I bought the more expensive 1100 lumen halogen floodlight bulbs. Holy smokes!!! What a difference, may have to grind with sunglasses on now. Last 2 pics are before and after.

Never have enough light. I have been beefing lighting up in my shop, I thought I had enough until I noticed when I took pictures with a decent camera then zoomed in on my laptop. I saw so much more work to be done with the pics its amazing but far from convenient , also looking into jewelers glasses or the like.

Mr Doyle I'm just curious, how many hours a day do you put in?? you are a machine.Looks awesome.

I usually try to get 10 hours in. Some days I don't get that many in, and some days I only get two or three hours. But usually I try for 10. My wife works late on Wednesdays and I can get 14 hours in then.

But I do that so I don't have to work on nights or weekends. I try to save that time for my wife and kids.

I usually try to get 10 hours in. Some days I don't get that many in, and some days I only get two or three hours. But usually I try for 10. My wife works late on Wednesdays and I can get 14 hours in then.

But I do that so I don't have to work on nights or weekends. I try to save that time for my wife and kids.
Do you make knives full time? Do you round the spine of a full tang knife before or after you get the handle on?

Man I love days off work. 1 1/2 hours behind the band saw and a bunch of steel dust later I got a bench full of knives.

I also got this little guy ground out it is a modification of my caping knife, I'm really liking it.

That's a good day's work right there!

I'm finishing the handle on a chefs knife as we speak. I'm glad my tru oil process takes a few days to complete because I managed to slice two different fingertips while hand sanding the blade. I need a few days to heal before I start the next few knives, LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that caping knife is killer justin!
today i did some shop improvements. Cleaned a very messy shop, shipped some orders, fastened my anvil down properly and forged some hammer racks for the anvil stand. now to go buy some hammers to fill the racks ;D
ugzs7GD.jpg

Back