What's going on in your shop?

whenever my bandsaw begins cutting to one side the problem is always a dull blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whenever my bandsaw begins cutting to one side the problem is always a dull blade.

Yeah this one probably is dull, but it's pretty much always tracked to the side even with a new blade, but it has got worse since it's dull I'm sure. I've just not ever been happy with it. It just never has functioned well since I bought it.

Here's a folder that I've been working on for a custom order. It's my Pride design that I take great pride in making. See what I did there LOL. Got the handle about done and heat colored the zirconium bolsters, which turned out really great. This was my first time using zirc and I really like it. I'll definitely be using more in the future. Sorry about the crumby phone pics.

WP_20170526_17_56_42_Pro.jpgWP_20170602_15_19_17_Pro.jpgWP_20170602_16_39_52_Pro.jpg

I haven't posted on forums in awhile but I've been really busy. Just wanted to post pictures of a few I've finished up recently.
Also just sent a batch of 30 to Peters. Funny, a year ago or so I wasn't even sure if I'd make 30 in my life. Crazy to think I just sent 30 in at once!

262c7ec2a6bce581e1513705646ba24e.jpg
bfecac7fb7440a15fd35cfd69e28c82a.jpg
6ddba304a1e4d21d9e36637ed4929a4d.jpg
926ff88ec3e9d5d0f3aa5ff3c2101878.jpg
bfa1e926df5ccdcaf26e56f1c67b209b.jpg
cb0a697431c393f7e59fb2644c8aed34.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The big difference (that I see) between Grizzly's 14" wood bandaws and the metal bandsaws (which start at 14") is that the metal bandsaws all include a blade welding station. It's up to you, of course, if you need that, but the only time I've wanted a blade welding station (and to buy blades in rolls) was when I was ripping full-on logs down to lumber.

The big difference (that I see) between Grizzly's 14" wood bandaws and the metal bandsaws (which start at 14") is that the metal bandsaws all include a blade welding station. It's up to you, of course, if you need that, but the only time I've wanted a blade welding station (and to buy blades in rolls) was when I was ripping full-on logs down to lumber.

Good to know! I'm definitely going to be getting a better bandsaw soon!
Thanks for the info!

the 4x6 horizontal/vertical bandsaw from HF is one heck of a workhorse for the money. They go on sale from time to time, or use the 20% coupon offer.

For wood, i picked up the 9" grizzly for about $200. It's been a great saw for cutting scales. I used my metal bandsaw to cut scales for a long time.

John, just to clarify, you use this saw on metal correct?

Josh those 1911 grips are really cool.
Here's some curly maple just after a coat of Tru-Oil.
IMG_20170608_191333521.jpgIMG_20170608_191249327.jpg
What you can do with curly maple seems to be endless. It is my favorite wood.

Ty, that's some beautiful curly maple. Is the wood stained, or is that color just from the Tru-Oil? I love the color.

John, just to clarify, you use this saw on metal correct?

Yes. It is a metal saw by design. I cut my wood with it for a long time, too. Works fine for wood, it's just slow. But at the time I could only afford one saw and a metal saw will cut anything whereas a wood saw won't.

If you already have a PortaBand, I suggest using it as has already been demonstrated in this thread. SWAG OFFROAD makes super handy fixtures to turn it into a vertical saw. But if you don't already have a PortaBand, it's cheaper to buy the 4x6 Harbor Freight saw.

d54474f1ed4c17f7bfdad44fea61ff5a.jpg

Add a foot switch. Most of us with this saw sit on it and drive with the foot switch so that you have two hands to guide the steel.

The metal saw was very slow. I eventually added a little wood saw. I love this saw.

14a5a93694f34071b7333cd336707ed0.jpg

I've been running one of those Chinese bandsaws for well over twenty years and it's still going strong. the only problem's I've had was the gasket on the gear case leaked, replaced that with a piece of intertube, and the guide bearings, which can be bought cheap on ebay. I'd say their a good buy, like john said you can cut wood on them, it's just slow. I use my old blades for cutting G10. and with good blades they work great. I remember cutting out blades with all the drill holes and hacksawing...that's just killing yourself. a metal cutting bandsaw is one thing anyone wanting to make knives should have in their shop.

Last edited:
New shop is almost full power. I recently moved. And at my old home I was always tripping the breaker. No more. I told the electrition I wasn't to be able to run every tool I own a full power at the same time. So, that's what he did. It's been like three months that or so since I've been able to make a knife.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Back