Branding makers mark on handle

wyme84

Hi, first time poster... First time knife maker...

Has anyone ever tried or thought about branding a makers mark on the handle vs etching into the blade?

I posted my answer on another forum too, but will also do it here....

Yep! I've seen it done before. The problem I foresee is that the handles can be removed and replaced, and thereby the makers mark eliminated. Most choose to stamp or etch the blade as its much more permanent, which makes the knife identifiable pretty much forever. In addition, although a "brand" might be novel, its going to very difficult to make it look professional and not possibly mess up the handle material.

I'd say, don't worry too much about getting your name on it if it's your very first knife. You'll probably want to keep that one on display anyway, and you'll know who made it. Just focus on learning the basics of the craft, embellishments can came after you've made a few. To me, when I think "brand on the wood" things like saw handles or garden tools come to mind. Your marks durability might not be so great on the wood either. But....if you just have to try it, it's your knife, go for it. Prove me wrong! Whatever you do, post some pics.

OK, I'm gonna get all "ZEN" on ya. The blade you made/make is where your energy went. The blade will carry yourself where ever it goes. You can use that blade with or without a handle. A wood, horn or antler handle came from a tree or a animal that has already made its mark it the grain. So I believe you should always put your makers mark on the blade. But hey I am from California. LOL!

Mark the blade. Till you make 100 knives and get a idea about how this is done do what has been proven to work. Novelty is different but, proven ideas work best. All masters followed the path till they learned enough to lead the way with their own experiences.

In other words. Don't waste your time marking in such a way the mark can be easily removed. It will take from your viewed image. I your looking for simple way to mark your work. Google simple knife marking. There are a few YouTube videos that explain basic ways to do this. My first 30 knives had no mark on the knife. Only mark it had was for the leather sheath that I made for it.

OK, I'm gonna get all "ZEN" on ya. The blade you made/make is where your energy went. The blade will carry yourself where ever it goes. You can use that blade with or without a handle. A wood, horn or antler handle came from a tree or a animal that has already made its mark it the grain. So I believe you should always put your makers mark on the blade. But hey I am from California. LOL!

Nice thought!...I like it a lot.

I ended up putting together a proper makers mark...
33fef2c474fad77b6e98ba3d0f81cd63.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back