Kme

AkWildman

I do all my sharpening on my belt grinder and a worksharp,I wanted to get something that dosent use power that I can use in the house or in the bush to hone and polish.I can use stones but I wanted a repeatable system.After looking at them all for months I got a killer deal on a KME with Simons stones and picked up a base.I will make my own strops and pick up some of the new honing and polishing emulsion fluids.The jaws have been redesigned on them and you can pick up there new pen knife jaws as well.Anyone else using the KME? There is a guy on YouTube that goes by Deano or Deno that has some good vids showing some great tips that overcome all the shortcomings of the jaw system.I will do a review after it get here.Any thoughts ?

I don't know about taking it to the bush, to many parts. For honing and polishing an established edge in the field the ERU would be hard to beat. Three moving parts with precision angle adjustment and fits in the palm of your hand.

The KME is a good product, don't get me wrong, I just don't see it as portable.

I'm opinionated of course, I manufacture the ERU's here on Bethel Ridge in SE Ohio :)

Regards, Fred

Lol Fred I would never hesitate to buy one of your products as I have a bubble jig and it's very well made,I guess I should have been more clear as I meant out to the homestead which is in the bush and only accessible by bush plane ,river boat or snowmachine.No problem getting stuff in and I could use a powered sharpening system if I wanted.We run a generator in the evenings.I just am not a fan of the draw through style of sjarpeners and wanted somthing that I could just relax and work a blade with.

How often do you get away? I like remote; we're pretty far out here in Appalachia, Plenty of good pond fishing. My shop is on the highest spot in the county, its all down from our place.

Fred

Fred I work a two on and two off schedule on the north slope,when I'm off we try and spend at least 3 days to a week at the homestead.It's a 63 mile trip by river boat or snowmachine.I spend most of my off time there during hunting season and fishing season.We plan on living full time there when the kids are all out of the house.Our main home now is remote by most standards in the lower 48 but we can drive to it and have natural gas and electricity.I would go nuts in a town or subdivision type setting.

Fred I work a two on and two off schedule on the north slope,when I'm off we try and spend at least 3 days to a week at the homestead.It's a 63 mile trip by river boat or snowmachine.I spend most of my off time there during hunting season and fishing season.We plan on living full time there when the kids are all out of the house.Our main home now is remote by most standards in the lower 48 but we can drive to it and have natural gas and electricity.I would go nuts in a town or subdivision type setting.

Sounds wonderful. Some are made for city living and some not so much. I spend weeks here without going off the ridge. Pretty well self contained. We've got free gas and can produce our own power. We lived in Columbus for five years before moving here to build.

Did you make the knives that you carry or are they store bought?

Fred I'm a maker,I have a couple of knives that were handed down to me from my grandpa but they stay in the display case and I carry one of my own.

Back