My version of a Bowie...this is my first post and knife

DTBrodt

First I would like to introduce myself. My name is Drew, and I am from San Antonio, Tx. Currently I live in Georgia as I am in the U.S. Army Bomb Squad. This technically is not my first knife, but it kind of is at the same time. Last November I met a guy in another bomb squad unit who would make knives on his lunch break and I hesitantly asked him if he would help me make a knife for my brother in law for Christmas. He pulled me in his office and said you will either love or hate the hobby. After that he said he wasn't going to have me waste his time if I wasn't serious so he gave me three books on knife making and told me to read them and then we could talk some more. I read them that weekend and within a week we were started. He supplied me with an old farrier rasp, some walnut, and grinder time. He really guided me through the process and it turned out pretty good. I fell in love with the hobby and started doing all of the research I could. I got in contact with Norm Coote and got myself a 2 x 72 grinder and then got some firebricks for my forge. I did this knife all on my own and This I is the result of someone in the hobby taking time to share their knowledge. The blade is 8.5" and OAL is 13". I used Goncalo Alves wood and copper pins. I am by no means good at this but I am in love with this hobby. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Please share an advice, knowledge, and criticism.

Thanks so much! My next project is actually my take on a Nessmuk and I actually just about finished tonight, just need to make a sheath for it tomorrow.

Wow I wish I started out that good! Looks like your on your way to a good future! can't wait to see more either

This looks great! Welcome to the forums. I'm new here too and have learned a lot from the veterans in the industry. They're good people.

Your filework is really nice and balanced throughout the length. If you put it along the entire spine prior to putting your handles on, you can later fill it with a colored epoxy and it accents the entire piece nicely making it look complete.

Thanks everyone for your positivity. Lobosstyle, what do you use for epoxy and dye because I have been wanting to try what you were talking about

Back