how much sq ft for your shop

i use about two thirds of a 1 car garage. I've got 2 grinders, an evenheat, a bench top mill a full size drill press and a bandsaw. also 2 vises and an arbor press. oh and a welder. it is tight, but careful utilization of the space and a lot of shelves and hooks on the walls and it works for me. of course I would love to have 10 times the space but thats not likely in the cards for me anytime soon.

I have a 6' X 12' shop. I have a 8' work bench on one with with my port-a-band and KMG grinder. A free standing drill press in one corner. It works well in the Iowa winter to heat it with a 1500w portable heater. As long as I keep things cleaned up it is enough room. Forces me put thing away when I'm done.

-Alan

I've worked out of this 2/3 of a one car garage for twenty five years, getting more crowded over the years. I have a window a/c but I work outdoors for my regular job so I'm used to the heat and never run it. it's tight BUT....I have 30 acres up in the panhandle and I can retire next year so the new shop plans are floating around now. where I live now is to crowded and I'm looking forward to moving to the woods.
SN850343.jpg

Last edited:
Well I am now in Jacksonville area. Bought a house it has a two car garage and two small sheds. I did bring all my tools instead of leaving them with my son. I would like to replace the two sheds with a bigger shop. But that might be a while.

i am in the process of filling and finishing a 12x24 work shop/shed. first decide what you are going to do. if blacksmithing, forging or using a gas burning furnace, i would want a concrete floor. my shop is for stock removal knives, woodworking, and electrical work. i have the inside perimeter is either work bench or drawers. i have a dedicated bench for drill press, 2x72, 4x36 and 8"disc sanders, sliding compound miter saw, table saw, and band saw. get all the drawers and shelves you can find. search your local are for reclaimed or recycled building supplies. you can find old kitchen or bathroom cabinets for a lot less than just the raw materials to do it yourself.
a one car garage would work. a 20 to 30amp 240vac outlet is a must. find power strips with built in circuit breakers on sale somewhere and buy a half dozen. start rounding up any empty plastic containers with or without lids. silverware organizers by the dozen work well. look at what you use every day vice once a month. i have space under the sliding compound miter saw for a second miter saw. my planer(sorta portable, makes such a mess i only use it outside) rests in a roll around box that fits under the drill press table. router table sits on top of shelving unit(not used every day).

In the next month, I will have a 24 x 24 shop, with heat and lots of lights. I'm hoping to have window AC by next summer.

Back