What type of steel to use for a katana

Grizzly Bear

Hey Guys,

I am fascinated by Japanese swords; I have a small collection of 5 katana: two wall hangers, two Damascus steel and one WWII sword that I bought from an antique dealer. I want to make my own some day.

What type of steel do you recommend to start with 1045, 1060 ...1095? I will be using the stock removal method plus hand polishing. Where do you buy your steel from? I figure I would need 1/4" x 4" x 48" billet to start with so that I can achieve the curvature that I want.

Can you differentially treat the above mentioned steel to create a real hamon line?

One last question, I have been trying to buy just the blade of a katana for finishing into a completed sword. I can't find any to purchase. Does anyone know were I can buy one at a reasonable price?

Many Thanks

Grizzly Bear

Wow! Big leap of faith jump into sword making. You can get nice hamon with 1095 and steels like W2, but I would question your ability to heat treat it if you aren't even able to forge the curvature into it to begin with. If you need to do stock removal from 4" wide piece to get curvature, that would tell me that you dont have resources to heat treat it and get proper hardness.

Much of the curve in a Katana comes from the differential heat treating that causes the blade to curve.

Thanks guys. I kind of knew the answer I guess. Just thought there was an easy way to do it. It would seem that I am way out of my league at this time.

Thanks again,

Grizzly Bear

Back