Western Tanto in W2 and Karelian Birch

Erin Burke

I'm calling this one a Western Tanto... the adjective "Western" giving me license to mangle and misuse a myriad of traditional Japanese terms. ;)

16283945574_297b51f21d_b.jpg

16901474271_71d6673bd1_b.jpg

16718890470_170672b93c_b.jpg

16720150199_c6dea7c500_b.jpg

16720150309_0cf81c7e10_b.jpg

Please feel free to let me know what you think.

Erin

Call it what you like -- it's beautiful!

That said, it looks more Persian or Indian to me than Japanese. The handle and blade curves look like those places to me.

Erin,
I saw a taste of The Arabian Knights, myself in that beauty! Excellent design and it all works so well!

I really like this. It looks as though a lot of thought went into the design, and a lot of care and craftsmanship went into the build.

Great looking knife! I can't tell how big it is could you give us some specs? Also, I can't believe it's a full tang knife, could you explain the assembly a little bit? I just love this thing. Thanks,

Wallace

Last edited:
Great looking knife! I can't tell how big it is could you give us some specs? Also, I can't believe it's a full tang knife, could you explain the assembly a little bit? I just love this thing. Thanks,

Wallace

Thanks Wallace. There's a THREAD over in the Custom Knife Forum that gives more info. If you are interested in the construction process, I also did a WIP-like Thread over HERE... but the quick details are posted below.

Length: 13-7/8"
Blade: 8-1/16" (Tip to choil), 0.093" thick at the guard
Weight: 227.5g (0.5lbs)
Steel: Differentially Heat-Treated W2
Handle: Karelian Birch scales with black G10 frame and 550-cord wrap
Tsuba/Guard: Mild Steel

Fittings: Copper

This knife is not a full-tang. It actually uses a black G10 spacer (frame) between the Karelian Birch scales. As mentioned, the WIP gives a lot more detail.

Erin

DAMN! You got some serious talent, Dude. Not only that but it's even more amazing that you can do all of that in the asylum.

Wallace

And to think that you can do all of that in the Craft Hour. However, I am a little surprised that knifemaking is part of the curriculum. :les:

Wallace

Back