Hello from PA

Mark11

First Knife 2.JPGFirst Knife 1.JPG

Hi: I'm just getting into knife making. You guys make it look easy, but after I made my first knife I realise how difficult, time consuming, but also fun (After finished) it can be. I found a video on youtube on making a knife fom a file, and was inspired to try it myself. I really liked the rugged look of the knife, with the file marks left as a design.

I have done woodworking before, but never metal work althrough i've always been interested. So I gathered my materials, basiclly an old Simmons File, and got to work. I used only hand tools, no power tools except a drill for the holes.

Sorry I didnt take any WIP pictures, I only have the finished result.
The handle is about 5" and the Blade 4-1/2". After months of filing and sanding, I was happy with the end result, not perfect but nicer than I had thought.

Plus I made many mistakes, and learned some lessons. First lesson, use sharp tools in good condition. Since I was filing away the material by hand, it want much faster after I bought a new file :) Next mistake, I heat treated the blade in a small "coffee can forge" I made.
I was able to get the blade cherry red and quench it in oil, but the first time I did so and tested the edge, it rolled on me. I thought to myself, I just spent a month working on this and now im not going to be able to heat treat it! Luckily, After the second try it was acceptable. From now on
im going to use known steel, not files. Plus I think Im going to send the blade out for heat treat next time. I finished it up last December, and decided to give it away as a xmas present.

Now I'm getting ready for my next project, a lockback folder. I know what your thinking, I should stick with fixed blades for a while, but I cant help myself. I have some of questons to ask about folders.

Thanks,
Mark

Back