How to square up a odd shaped knife handle.

AkWildman

So if your working with bone ,ivory or antler ie any material that isn't square to start with this is how I do it.I get a scrap piece of wood and square it up.Next draw a center line down it that you can use as arreference to line your material center up on.Next wrap your material in Satan wrap.Now mix up some bondo and plop some down on your board,next lay your material down in the bondo and line it up and center it on your line.Look from the side and make sure it's legal or oriented acording to how your tang will run through it.Next mix up some more bondo and slather it in around your material in this case I'm using walrus osik.after your bondo hardens I put a piece of packing tape around it to hold it all in place.Next over to the chop saw .Cut the ends at the point you want it saving a little for sanding.After its cut I wrap it in tape and over to the drill press to drill the pilot hole 90 deg to the ends.

Attachments

• IMAG0881.jpg
    IMAG0881.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 163
  • IMAG0880.jpg
    IMAG0880.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 150
  • IMAG0879.jpg
    IMAG0879.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 143
  • IMAG0878.jpg
    IMAG0878.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 149
For some reason my pics ended up in reverse order,when your all done cut the tape and Satan wrap and your material lifts free.

That's using the ole noggin Wildman!!!

We need a shop tips section! Sometimes its the easy little things that can speed up a project and dang-it some are so easy you never think of them till you see it done!

Hey what you think about that idea Boss, one more category dedicated to real shop tips??

Last edited:
Excellent idea! That is thinking way outside the box and I will be using this soon with some elk antler I have that really wants to be used on as a handle.

Thanks it works great and if you have a crown antler to deal with I tack a piece of wood to the end of the scrap wood to form a L and then can stand it up on the drill press.

Back