KickStarter Discussion

Listen, I do not want to get into a discussion about what or how many knives you are making for your first 'batch'. Point is, myself, and other that have expressed skepticism have done it out of frustration. You are diving into an adventure without even being able to show that you understand hos to make a single knife. We simply are trying to get you to realize that the best approach is to make a few knives using whatever methods you have available at present before investing thousands of dollars in something you dont know if you will like or if people will like and / or purchase. I'm not trying to be a d??ck, just frustrated because it would be akin to me stating I was building an automobile factory, but have never even built a car. Crank out a knife, show it to the group, take contsructive criticism and if you enjoy it, become a full time knifemaker.

I was getting ready to close this thread because it was starting to turn against the new guy. This post saves the thread.

Everyone, show respect here, no matter what or find another forum where you can string someone up but we won't be doing that here.
If someone needs to be bounced or smacked along side the head (and some do), I'll do it in private with the culprit(s). Send me a PM or email me direct.
We don't vote people off the island and we don't moderate by mob rule here.
See the moto at the top of the page. Ripping into a guy that is obviously new and doesn't quite understand some things is not friendly.
Mistake here are OK. Being rude and negative is not. Arguing is OK as long as it stays respectful. Getting someones attention is OK as long as it stays respectful.

I hate to necropost but I didn't think my comment deserved a thread of it's own. I'm currently getting ready for a crowd-funding campaign as well, but may or may not be using kickstarter. I have already contacted kickstarter and was told that kitchen knives were ok, but anything else that could be used as a weapon is a no go. That rules out about 80% of everything I make so I am now contacting indiegogo and others. I have four prototypes at coating now, one bushcraft knife I am finishing now before sending it out for professional photography. I'll send pictures of all the knives and get approval before starting any campaign. Though I'm not opposed to making all the knives utility knives or something, I just hate not to be able to put the big sellers up their like the tactical knives that sell very well.

As far as the video goes for the campaign, I have all my own digital film equipment and am getting the bugs worked out now. I have worked as a crew member on various film projects so I'm not worried about the technical aspect of it except the sound and editing. Which are extremely important. Photography will be done by a pro and not me with my point and shoot. I'm hoping to get this launched a week before the history channels tv show comes out on bladesmith's. I have no illusions this will be a cake walk.

JSeymour - Welcome! Unlike to OP of this thread, you actually make knives and may have more success in your venture. I wish you well. I think your adventure is worthy of its own thread because there is substance to your venture.

JSeymour - Welcome! Unlike to OP of this thread, you actually make knives and may have more success in your venture. I wish you well. I think your adventure is worthy of its own thread because there is substance to your venture.

Man I was just in Brooklyn, NY last month. Wish I knew more makers from NY so when we were filming there, we could have all met somewhere and had a mini get together over a frosty beverage.

To the OP,
An Oven is one of the last pieces of equipment you need to get started on your knife. I've been making knives since 96 and still don't own a heat treat oven. I send them out for HT. Nothing wrong with doing your own, but Files or a grinder and a drill press are much more necessary to get started on your first couple of knives.

Eliminite, I am a rookie at this hobby/addiction with a potential for a profession and even with some moments of distraction it is not necessary ti have new top of the line tools to make a knife. My first ones were with an 8"bench grinder,a hand full of files, a borrowed 4x36 belt grinder and a hand drill. I posted the knives I made and took the critiques and tips and despite the hit to my pride changed the base metal to known steel till life got in the way an caused a pause in my hobby. take a piece of known steel and create a prototype for all to see and alot of makers will help you out.

Back