Good morning!

Steve Schilling

Hi Everybody,

Steve here from the finger lakes region of New York. I just wanted to introduce myself as a new forum member and aspiring knifemaker and to say a big Thank You. I've been scouring the archives for information over the last year for info on many aspects of the craft and shop setup. It's enough to make your head swim but i'm very grateful for all who have shared their experience so freely. It's a really big deal.

Anyhow, i'm in my mid-forties(yay) with a great wife and two awesome kids. Love the outdoors and especially canoe camping. What brings me to knifemaking is twenty years of doing for myself. I hate paying somebody else to do something I could do. Car repairs, home renovation, fabricating weird but useful crap, whatever. Has it saved me money? Not always, but the experience gained from failure and success, the patience, probably couldn't be bought any other way. I Love making things, and I Love knives. Seems like a good marriage, so we'll see what happens.

I promise to spend less time lurking in the shadows. I'm sure there are many, many nuggets of knowledge to extract from the archives but I need to interact more with the knife makers/lovers at large.

Thanks Guys,
Steve Schilling

Hi Steve! It sounds like we could be twins...
Welcome to the forum. I look forward to getting to know you.
- Jason

Welcome, Steve. It's great to have you here with us. I'm right there with you in age and attitude. I hope you enjoy your new-found adventure into knife making.

Back