etching stencil order help!!

OkieCowboy

Wanting to order a stencil from Ernie, the plan was to get some assorted sizes to cover future needs.... right up until he asked what sizes??? A little hard to predict what I will be needing in the future for sure.. but... for those that have been there... what sizes do you use most often? What would you start with... I have no plans to make any large bowie knives etc in the future...nor any small folding knives......advise?

My name on top in curve with maker in the middle is 1/4 by 1/2. Had some 1/2 size made for folder and it is a waste of time. you can get them too big and I don't like too large.

I had 4 sizes made, but I really only use 2 of them. The one on the folder below is 1/4" overall height. I've used this one on my hunters too and it's just about right to me. I also have one that is 3/8" overall height that I've used on my survival knife. It's a little larger and since that blade has a blasted and blackened finish, it shows up a little better. I had one made at 1/2" tall, but it's just too big for anything other than a big chopper or machete. And one tiny one at 1/8", but it's just to small for much.

Not knowing what your overall design is, hope that helps.
logo size.jpg logo size 2.jpg

Mine are 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4" long. Don't remember the height off hand. I think it was Brian Fellhoelter who said in another thread that the gold stencils from TUS are really good.

Last edited:
Thanks again all....this was exactly the type of input I was needing!.. always count on the great folks here....

And Self Made Knives...thanks again Anthony for helping me to get it all together. .!

Tell Ernie what knives you make and discuss size with him and then give him some latitude to fix you up with some various sizes. He is good to work with and usually will steer you in the right direction!!!

Hey Gentlemen,

Just got my etching machine and need to order some stencils too. Can you guys give me the contact info for Ernie? Your help would be much appreciated!

Thank You!

Does everyone use Earnie for thier stencils?
I Have always free handed mine and it shows. Any and all suggestions needed and appreciated.

Back