Hand finish sanding device

bmills

There are many ways to hold the abrasive material used to hand finish a blade, but I wonder how you folks go about it. I'm specifically looking for a hand held device that can securely hold the abrasive and can be changed quickly. I was thinking a micarta flat piece and somehow attaching the abrasive to it. Any ideas? Photos would be great if possible. Thanks in advance.

Bill

I use a piece of 1" flat bar with a piece of leather glued to it. I wrap my emery paper around it. I don't use and type of clamp to hold it.

As Mr Slatroni says - just a 1" flat bar and cut paper to length and make several wraps around bar. Sand a bit, take off one turn to expose fresh paper and keep sanding. Nothing fancy, but it sure works good. Paper holds nicely with those several turns without any clamps or adhesive.

Ken H>

Same method but, I use a 3/8x1.5x9" piece of micarta with a pondo board glued on one side. That's my main one, I have 2 more that are narrower for smaller jobs.

I use a rubber sanding block that I purchased in the 1$ aisle at the local hardware , I cut a chunk off that is about 1.25 sq. and 3'' long and has different angles since it is not perfectly sq. Works well for me .

Hockey puck - cut in half the way you would cut a pie in half. Can also take a small slice out of one of those halves and use the remainder. Use 1" strips of sandpaper.

The methods above are best for removing everything that is not a scratch. The hockey puck is good for getting out a small spot and for developing a nice even satin finish.

Rob!

Bill
Here is a video by Nick Wheeler. He has posted many U-tube videos that have excellent instruction/tips. This one is on hand-sanding and he shows what tools he has made and how he uses them. Take the time to watch it - it really helped me get better at hand sanding.
DeMo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I4x4QLpfnk&feature=youtu.be

DeMo,

Thats a great video and I learned a lot! Seems I was over thinking this issue just a little lol!

Bill

Back