New old gun!

Justin Presson

Not sure if gun talk is allowed so if not you can delete thread.

I'm pretty dang happy!
I have been on the hunt for an old Colt .22 rifle for my son.
His name is Colton so I thought it would be cool for his first gun to be a Colt.

One of my dad's friends goes to alot of auctions and found one in Illinois so I gave him a $ amount I was willing to go on it and he bought it.
Well come to find out the safety did not work and my dad's friend didn't want to hand it over to my dad when he got back. It kind of turned into a big deal it went really cheap at the auction and this buddy mentioned how he had one as a kid and i felt like he was wanting to keep it for himself. I ended up calling my dad's friend and kinda saying "what the heck" not in those exact words.
Long story short we got it to a gunsmith who fixed it and my dad paid the guy and it is ours now with the safety fixed.

Crapy picture my dad sent I will have better ones when he brings it down next weekend.

It is a Colt 1-22 Colteer single shot bolt action.
Pretty cool.
0e4b775b7bd1c6682f53b35a3942c1f7.jpg

Very cool and an excellent little rifle to teach Colton about shooting and firearms safety. That's a much better choice than most of the foreign made junk you find these days. I also think the fact that it has iron sights is cool. I know guys younger than me who can shoot very well with a scoped rifle but can't hit the broad side of a barn with iron sights.
On a side note, I have an old single shot Remington with iron sights that still shoots like it did when I was a kid. I can hit an albino gnat setting on a pile of grits at a 100 yards in a blizzard. HEHEHEHE

Lol....now that is dialed in Darrin. Yep I'm going to make him learn iron sights first before we go to a scope, it will still be a little bit before we start shooting but can't wait.
My dad made us do that and I'm pretty good with open sights on a rifle now.

Very nice first rifle for Colton. I have a Remington single bolt action that was purchased with S & H Trading stamps. LOL some of you younger people may not know what those were?

When you bought gas or groceries in the 50-60's they would give you this stamps that mom would put into books and they could go to their outlet and get a toaster or toy or rifle etc for a certain number of books. I can remember my mom getting a toaster at one when I was very young.

It was a a good friend of mines son's, the son is a little older than me and I helped the family clear out 40 something years of "Stuff" out of their home to sell it.

My friend frank saw it in the garage and asked me if I wanted it because he didn't want to hassle selling it. It is a tack driver still! I use it when I take new people and Youngsters shooting to teach basics with.

I remember those old stamps. I also remember the old Green stamps. I still sometimes refer to cash money as green stamps to this day. Sometimes when I do that some of the younger kids look at me funny. LOL

I remember those old stamps. I also remember the old Green stamps. I still sometimes refer to cash money as green stamps to this day. Sometimes when I do that some of the younger kids look at me funny. LOL

S & H were green and then there was another one called Blue Chip, that was blue.

Well put me in the to young to know of these stamps category!

Did you have to us ration stamps during the great depression to buy stuff too :) haha old timers

This gun was made I think from 57-66 this one didn't have a serial number so it's an old one I think like 62 or 63 they started making them stamp serial numbers on them.

Well put me in the to young to know of these stamps category!

Did you have to us ration stamps during the great depression to buy stuff too :) haha old timers

This gun was made I think from 57-66 this one didn't have a serial number so it's an old one I think like 62 or 63 they started making them stamp serial numbers on them.
No

NO, My father flew in a B-19 bomber over the Nazi's giving them their due during WWII was which was when rationing stamps were. That was 42 on for rationing of gas, rubber & some metals during the war.. The great depression was lingering but was mostly in the 30's and had nothing to do with the rationing of materials for the war effort.

The history you kids known is pretty fuzzy! HaHa! Kids!

Just keep getting up every morning and you'll be an old timer one day too. Looking forward, it seems like its a long way off but once you get there and look back, it seems like yesterday.
I don't mind getting old, I just hate being stiff and sore all the time. Oh, and the worst part is having to pee every 30 minutes but that may be too much info.. LOL

As far as the law, it was passed in 64, if I remember correctly. So that little gem is at least 50 years old.

No

NO, My father flew in a B-19 bomber over the Nazi's giving them their due during WWII was which was when rationing stamps were. That was 42 on for rationing of gas, rubber & some metals during the war.. The great depression was lingering but was mostly in the 30's and had nothing to do with the rationing of materials for the war effort.

The history you kids known is pretty fuzzy! HaHa! Kids!
Aww dang it your right. Alot of that history i got came from my grandma who is still alive at 97 years old. my mom still has some of the ration stamps. If I can find it I will bust out a picture of my grandfather standing in front of the Enola Gay plane the one that dropped the atomic bomb. It's a cool old photo.

Aww dang it your right. Alot of that history i got came from my grandma who is still alive at 97 years old. my mom still has some of the ration stamps. If I can find it I will bust out a picture of my grandfather standing in front of the Enola Gay plane the one that dropped the atomic bomb. It's a cool old photo.

Look for the picture. I'm sure we would all love to see it.
By the way! Bossdog is a shooter and we talk guns on here from time to time. I guess as long as no one is selling a gun on here or anything that might get him/us in trouble we are fine.

Also if you ever go visit Bossdogs store he has always said cool guns to shoot, kids and even a beer or two afterwards are always welcome!

Also if you ever go visit Bossdogs store he has always said cool guns to shoot, kids and even a beer or two afterwards are always welcome!

I just knew the Boss was my kind of folks..... even if he is waaaay up north rather than down South.

Ken h.

Very cool Justin. I think there is a lot to be said about the class that older guns possess. I'm trying to convince my cousin to sell me the old .22 pump that was our Great Grandfather's but I'm not having any luck. It really saddens me because like you I would get it fixed and shoot it on occasion. I don't see him doing this. The other old family heirloom my uncle has. There used to be an old general store in the little bitty community my family is from. The sold 5 Winchester Model 12s with successive serial numbers(I think this was in the 1920s). My uncle knows where 3 of the 5 guns are still today.

Chris

Apparently it fires and is some what accurate.
My dad text me these pictures about 20 min apart. They where getting into the trash and I reckon he had enough of that.

5386302a3881713deb1eedb641dc176a.jpg

073d11fdc56665cf10bb5ee16071dc81.jpg

The older I get Chris the more I think old guns are cool!

Here is that picture I was talking about.

Amazing picture, you're very lucky to have it. You're very lucky to still have him around too, I lost mine a couple years ago at 92 and I loved the stories and memories he had of those times.

Amazing picture, you're very lucky to have it. You're very lucky to still have him around too, I lost mine a couple years ago at 92 and I loved the stories and memories he had of those times.
Well he is not around we lost him in 1989 but my grandma is still alive at 97 years old.....I can't even imagine what she has seen in her lifetime, I have learned alot from that woman.

Well he is not around we lost him in 1989 but my grandma is still alive at 97 years old.....I can't even imagine what she has seen in her lifetime, I have learned alot from that woman.

Very cool pic of grand dad in front of the Enola Gay. That was Captain Tibbets mothers name. I recently saw a great documentary on the Enola Gay, her crew and the bomb! This was when Tibbet's and the crew were in their 70's.

Tibbet's said, In spite of how some want to spin now, not one of us have any regrets!

We saved a lot of our lives and japanese lives by doing everything we could to end the war as soon as possible!

During my time in the USMC, I visited Hiroshima, Japan and the Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. Seeing both sides of it deeply affected me. I felt a little odd, an American standing at ground zero in Japan and I wondered if the Japanese tourist I saw at Pearl Harbor felt that way too. I tried to smile and acknowledge them to make sure they felt at ease. In turn, I was greeted with lots of smiles by Japanese school children at their memorial.

There's nothing to regret on our part, those guys had a job and did what needed to be done. I wish we had leaders in office today that had the same courage.

Back