Lots of questions about blade material! Please forgive me!

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but what size knife are you thinking of? Any reason your steel needs to be 2-3" wide?

Most places will sell you a bar that's 4' long. I would think 1 1/2" wide would cover just about anything you wanted to make unless it was REALLY big, which kind of goes against your intended purposes.

I think going with 1080/1084 in 1/8" thickness is a very good move.

Keep us posted.

I don't intend to make a very big blade, I have drawn up a couple templates, and also measured some of the knives that I currently carry, and was looking for something atleast 2" wide to start with on my first go round. I was hoping to end up with something no bigger than 1 5/8 after my final shaping. Maybe I am starting off to aggressive for my first attempt? Maybe I am creating to much waste by going 2", like I said this is my first time. I have not ordered anything yet, so should I look at some already formed blanks and see what final sizes with them..

Ordered some 1080 got the 65 El Camino project pushed forward yesterday, and got my bench cleaned off just waiting for my stuff to get delivered.... Thanks for all the help!

Back