New guy from ky

LRS30

Hello and thanks for having me, been lurking for a while, and I have a few beginner questions, so I figured I might as well join in the fun and do a small intro before I start with my newb questions.
My name is Ryan, born and raised in the Bluegrass, typical hot rod/chopper guy. I am recovering from a botched spinal fusion that happened last April, and well to say the least, I'm going stir crazy. I've always had a fascination with knives of all kinds, have carried one for as long as I can remember, and since I have a garage full of tools, and lots of time to kill, I figured I would try to make myself a knife I could call my own and be proud of after I'm done.
I'm not a hunter, barely a fisherman, but I am often camping, and boating, so I wanna make me a knife that can handle the abuses of my lifestyle. Something durable, not to big, and easy to handle. I've got a couple of my personal carry knives, and listed my pros and cons of each and have drawn a few designs incorporating what I like about each one.. So basically this is my little intro, and I apologize in advance for any and all stupi questions I ask!

THanks Jason, I am still in the planning stages, but ever since my botched spinal fusion last April I have not been able to do a whole lot, this is something that I think I can do that won't require a whole lot of physical strength and I should be able to do it at my own pace, and not tax my back and my hip so much that it will beat me down for long periods. This is the first thing that I have been excited about doing in along while. So anyway, thanks for having me , and hope my ignorance isn't to off puttting!

Hi, Ryan. I'm sorry to hear about your condition. I wish the very best for you. Good luck on your new adventure into knife making. I hope you enjoy the journey as much as I.

questions are all part of the community here.
welcome to KD
t

Thanks guys, I have honestly had a ball just reading and
learning from this forum already. I have already pushed my 65 El Camino project to the front of the garage, and cleared off my work bench, went out and bought a couple new belts for my grinder, and a new hand held pressure bleeder to try my hand at stabelizing some Osage Orange wood from my childhood home to be used as my scales on my first couple knives.. I know I may be putting the cart before the horse with this but I have a lot of time on my hands and why not give it a shot...

Back