Building a website?

Eliminite

Website Builder?
If so, which is best to use, and most cost effective?

OR

Build your own?

Basic instructions?

I don't know how many other makers build/maintain their own sites, but I can give you my opinon and experiences.....

When I first decided I needed a website, I knew NOTHING about building or maintaing one...so I started looking for someone to build it for me. What I found was.....the norm for those who build websites is "SELL!, SELL!, SELL!" And although that is one of the obvious purposes of a website, I simply did not want to put forth that impression. I also found that it was going to be more expensive then I want to pay.....and finally, I did not want the "wait"...meaning that if I wanted to change something, add a photo, change verbage, etc., it entailed sending photos, corrections, or whatever was needed, then waiting 1-2 weeks to get the changes on the site.

So, I started teaching myself about websites, domains, and how to build/maintain them. It took me about 6 months worth of evenings until I got to the point that I felt comfortable building my own site. In the beginning I used "free" software that I was able to build BASIC websites with. Over the years, as I've learned more and practiced. I've gone through several pieces of software for building sites. Right now I am currently using WYSIWYG Website Builder I believe its about $50, but its fairly easy to learn, and for the money it offers A LOT.

As far as instructions.... I just started by using Google..... searching things like... "How to build a website", "easy website construction", or "Easy to use Website building software". Generally when it comes to building a website, you will need several pieces of software.....not just the website building software. You'll also want a photo editing software, and possibly some others, depending on what you want to do.

At first the whole process seems overwhelming, but its just like eating a elephant.....one bite at a time. :) I get a great deal of satisfaction in building and maintaining my own website, and I like the fact that I can do what I want, without having to try to convice an outside source what I want, and how I want it. Its gotten to the pont where I've actually built site for some of my closest knifemaking friends. I generally set aside one morning or evening a week to work on my site....if you stay on top of it, it will only require a small amount to time to keep it up to date and fresh.

Last edited:
As usual, Ed didn't leave much for anyone else to day - he covered the bases nicely. Listen to the man - he seems to know websites as well as a Master of knives! I guess that makes him a well rounded man - for what else is needed? {grinning}

Ken H>

I just redid my website in ipage and it was very simple and easy. The hardest part is getting the photo's you will need for site content.

Thanks

John

HAH!
yeah, well you know that helped.
I got some buddies at my work coaching me, by the end I said screw it
I used go daddy, did something straight forward,
if you guys are curious or want to help me with editing check it out

eliminiteedge.com
I've also got facebook and twitter, facebook.com/eliminiteedge and elliotfox@eliminiteedge

Jones, I added myself to your email list

thanks guys!

HAH!
yeah, well you know that helped.
I got some buddies at my work coaching me, by the end I said screw it
I used go daddy, did something straight forward,
if you guys are curious or want to help me with editing check it out

eliminiteedge.com
I've also got facebook and twitter, facebook.com/eliminiteedge and elliotfox@eliminiteedge

Jones, I added myself to your email list

thanks guys!
Hello, i do own a small business and mainly sell my stuff via website(not knife related). You can check out *shopify * it easy to use and accept all kind of payment.
Sorry for my grammer error etc, english is my 3rd language.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Back