Nice little score here...(Ironwood)

Here is some grain patterns on inexpensive, real Arizona Desert ironwood. About 10-30 bucks a set.View attachment 53885 The real nice burl parts can go for 100 to 200 bucks a set of scales.

Remember that when you first cut it. The grain won't stand out very strong. Take it to 400 grit and wait a few days for the grain to pop out.

That is pretty wood Lawrence. I also Googled your website. man, you sure make nice stuff!

Last edited:
I am happy to have this wood it will make good handle material for knives for family and friends.

Last edited:
Darn you Laurance! As I was scrolling down the page I saw your photo of ironwood and thinks WOW!! That guy's got real ironwood!!! Then I saw it was you posting some examples. I was getting ready to take a trip to Nebraska and buy DeMo dinner to convince him I was one of his "best friends" {g}

Since that wood sinks in water, it is a very hard dense wood and won't take any stabilizing - not home stabilizing anyway. BTW, DeMo- doesn't it give you a funny feeling to watch dry wood sink? I remember the first time I saw that back in early '90's while I was living in Guatemala. I was holding a piece of Rosewood - sure felt heavy. Someone told me it was sink in water..... now way - dry wood floats. I dropped it over side of boat and down it went! This old country boy from hill country never saw dry wood sink before.

Ken H>

I was getting ready to take a trip to Nebraska and buy DeMo dinner to convince him I was one of his "best friends"

Ken H>

Ken
I do not own this wood. Abbot does. You will need to go all the way to Oregon. On your way through Nebraska, stop by and I will let you buy me dinner. I can always use a new "bestie".
DeMo

I think you can rule out desert ironwood, lignum vitae and ebony.

Ipe, would be my guess. They use it for decking and stuff like that.

http://bedwoodandparts.com/i-19254966-bed-wood-retroliner-ipe-ironwood-113120139.html

I just checked you're website, very nice work! Thanks for the good conversation today, I enjoyed it very much. I'm real happy to have that stack of wood and I'm sure it will all be put to good use over the next couple of years.

DSCN8109-001.JPG...DSCN8100-001.JPG..That is an exceptionally nice piece of work there IMHO. The knife with the coyote femur and silver handle is also extremely nice.

Last edited:
Thanks.

All the ironwoods take a nice polish. I think they ebonize and stain Ipe to darken it and give it richer color. Maybe not as desirable as some of the other ironwoods, for knife handles,... but still a good score. Ipe has some great properties.

(I am having a bit of trouble with the quote feature on the forum. I haven't figured out what is up with it yet.) Sorry for the mistakes.

I've never tried ebonizing Ipe, but it works on most natural materials and some synthetics. It's a two part "patina", starting by introducing tannin into the wood and then applying vinegaroon,... a solution of steel wool dissolved in vinegar. You can leave it "black" or add stain over the top for color.

That coyote femur was ebonized the same way. . .

I think you'll like the Ipe. I've always wanted to play around with it, but just never came across any that caught my eye.

Ken, I do not own this wood. Abbot does. You will need to go all the way to Oregon. On your way through Nebraska, stop by and I will let you buy me dinner. I can always use a new "bestie". DeMo

Shucks, you are correct DeMo - I saw it was Abbot's thread, but then looked at post just above my post for name and didn't go quite far enough up. Hey, that would be a NICE trip - swing thru Nebraska on the way to Oregon. That's a trip I always wanted to make on the bike, but these days seems like most of rabbit has left my feet and I'm pretty content at home.... too many toys to play with {g}

Ken H>

I picked up some ipe years ago, it was some flooring scraps. The grain is not highly figured. However, it does have a very nice rich dark brown color. I made some scales for a Kershaw Chill. The scales have held up very well. No problems with it getting dinged up with EDC. I just sanded them to 600 grit (wet), one coat of linseed oil, and carnuba floor wax.

I also replaced some handles on cheap ss kitchen spreaders. These get thrown in the dish washer and soaked in the sink etc. The only thing I do to them is once or twice a year put a little mineral oil on them. The ipe has held up very well.

Ric

Back