My trifecta of new known steels.

434157c196b282fc2f2508489a9be826.jpg

My sisters 1080 with g.e. original canvas micarta.

Last edited:
I use a lanskey sharpener and use the 25° slot. These were rough ground then filed and sanded prior to ht. Finished them on the 1x42 sterling sander I found at a shop sale.

Thanks for caring Tony, and yes it does. so the wife is all giddy about her mommas day present, and my sisters ecstatic about hers especially since it fit perfectly to her hand.

Thanks and true wdtorque. The third one is the largest one and am taking a bit more time to get it done cleanly and exactly how I want it. Have to get some more finer grit belts since the last I have is a now worn 400 grit. It is easier to hand sand from 400 up as opposed to 180 up.

So I decided after seeing the tacticool knives and acid washed ones as well to, try my luck at pcb etching. 30 min soak in 1 to 3 ratio. Turned out ok but, room to improve on my prep.
Sanded the etchant off where the handle is going to be. Now to decide whether or not to use a liner between the tiger wood and the blade.

uploadfromtaptalk1437671931542.jpg here are the tiger wood scales with my blue liner glued in place. Trimmimg,flattening and scuffing and prep for gluing are my next step. Unless I decide to re etch the blade because there are flaws in the finish?
Ed suggests using acetone to clean the blades on damascus so should work on plain steel as well correct?

So evidently when you switch grits and the new belt is fresh and sharp it will eat a hard wood handle faster than you think, when your daydreaming of how good this is going to look. So now I either am going to start a new tigerwood handle or switch to the bog oak I got from Smithy or idk what else. Live and learn right?

Well due to the rookie trying to rush things to fruition, I had to try again and slowly correctly do things.
I decided to use some osage orange I got from a fellow KD.

Here is the scales being glued to the liners.
View attachment 56413

Walt- I always hesitate to comment on pieces I see other guys post here, due to my own lack of experience and skill. But, two things I see seem to cry out and beg for comment:
1: Your skills have greatly improved since I have been around KnifeDogs. Your grindlines, and just overall vision of where you want to go with a profile- and how to get it there- are a couple of ways I see you evolving. Most importantly, keep having fun with it! whenever you can (and improvement of skills will follow).
Yes, life does have it's unexpected demands, doesn't it? But, how we respond to those trials... is what makes us who we are, and determines if we will be a blessing to those in our path. It sounds like you are a great blessing to those around you. But, none of us can bless anyone if we are depleted ourselves. You have to keep restoring yourself. For me, next to seeking God through His Word and prayer, and interacting with others who God has sent, working on knives does a lot to help me escape the duldrums of life- to set me free for awhile.
#2. To all of you guys that have helped Walt along: Don't ever stop helping those behind you on the path! And thanks for being there for me when you have. You are all forging ahead, but still care enough to look back and see us guys trying to go where you have gone.
THANKS
Bill

Well shoot Anthony, I guess it is what can happen when you post at 0430 from your phone. Lol here are the current pics of my progress

Here is the scales being glued to the liners
2ce5508c585a3aa21f87d3f62a7ec888.jpg

I didnt get a pic of my oh fml moment but I nicked the edge of the blade and took out 1/8" of cutting edge.
So I had to reprofile and grind a new edge on it. I sanded all the etch off the blade and tried all over for the tacticool look.

Here is the blade before etch
b441cf9f283f1155a02b53330b3822eb.jpg

Rough profile of the handle and liner contrast
70b428117fcb9f24c032994b4c8a1496.jpg

Side view handle profile
84f071758f58f4b2eb1f67599d43bbee.jpg

And what the whole knife will look like when done fit test.
25e83f47afe1ee7c033769f409e2130d.jpg

Last edited:
Bill, it is an improvement on my self as a maker for sure. I have looked back at all of my projects and the fact of it is I now can see my flaws and find the small oops, or if I hold my hands like this with the rest set like that my grinds even out and I can correct my flub ups.
I am thankful to all who have helped me by talking to me, critiquing my work to try and get me to see where my mistakes are. Those who have said a positive thing about an ugly knife that is a cutting tool that is ugly as all get out, when Im feeling low.
John D for being the kind soul to take time and help me get started and not let me cheat myself and assist me through many emails over small what if I ideas that were good but ahead of my skill set at the moment.
Life is a challenge and a blessing all in one, it is the choices we make to either succeed or get wrapped up in the negatives and drug down in the gutter.
I feel that knifemaking has become my recentering,mellow out,chill out, find my zen time to throw aside the garbage that has weighed on my mind all day,the bs from work or what has upset the wife an kids that I can not fix but still worry over.
As soon as I switch on the grinder and just clean up a piece of brass for a guard, or sit and sand a handle to the perfect feel and shape I like all of it goes away.
Most of all thank you to the creators of this forum for having a place for others to share their passionate creativity.

Last edited:
Well hope all turns out right, I wiped everything down twice with a clean cotton shop rag and acetone. Applied a layer of epoxy to each side of the handle portion of the knife blade.
a395170caff7148b8f9c2629358eba35.jpg

Right now its at home curing while Im at work.

So it should match up well with a cinnimon colored sheath and contrast a bit as it ages. Thanks Anthony for the info.

Back