My trifecta of new known steels.

wall e

Am posting my wip of the 3 blades I am making with the gifts I received from several members on here. Two blades are 1080 and one is 1084 so here starts my journey into the realm of knife making.
Here is the unpacked starter kit from Mr Doyle containing two pieces of 1080 and a 1080 and a 1084 blank.

fa8dc77ac8bbb84a2932ec9d9a09717e.jpg

Here are the three blades cut out and rough ground to a dimes thickness pre ht.
38bdf6f2b7cda2c53651068e6a67ad96.jpg

Blade one in 1080 with tiger wood handle fit and rough shaped
916a52663ab9a7653f0f29a329514a44.jpg

Blade 2 in 1080 rough ground and fit with tan canvas micarta
1c8bba4bdac74c10894ff29952472f38.jpg

The 1084 blade fitted with acacia burl and a lavender liner per my wifes request.
1574eb99628da535e4bc9f86408631a7.jpg

All three blades back from ht and sanded to 60 grit to remove my oops file marks (thank you John)
a65196c52762008e1dd4da8c8635b954.jpg

This brings us to date on the current progress.

Thanks Wayne. I know as a rookie I shouldn't mess with tacticools but am inclined to make the one with micarta a black blade. Hmmmmmm
The 1084 is going to be satin finish since it will be the wifes new paring knife she says.

Thanks Ken and Steve. Anthony I told you patience and youll see some flat grinds. Lol

Congratulations for your starting!! :) I'm glad that John Doyle paved the path for your first steps, which definitely means road to the stars :)

Had a minor delay in working on knives called life. Hehe two sick liluns and a mechanical maintainence issue with the family wagon, and a screwy work schedule.

Had a minor delay in working on knives called life. Hehe two sick liluns and a mechanical maintainence issue with the family wagon, and a screwy work schedule. 

Walt, do you remember back when we were younger, bachelors, and sometimes felt like there was nothing to do? You'd get bored, go hang out with a buddy or something because there just wasn't much going on. Ah, the good old days.

We are discovering the joys of weather changes. Kids react to the cold wet weather so dr and us are thinking childhood asthma. So in a way rhino they are better. On inhalers and nebulizer. Yes I do at times long for the good old days. Was thinking I should have started early in my 20s. Lol

Was meaning knifemaking.
I started my family young, I was 21 when the oldest was born. My girls are 18,16,13,4 and,10months. Am on my second tour of family. The first one was too filled with combat and violence to stay any longer.

So to update have scrubbed the smaller knife to get the ht soot off and am only at 100 grit as of tuesday am. Today well wed had a mechanical dillema and now the family wagon is headed to the shop w a blown head gasket. Bye bye 2k. So no grinder build this yr. Work with what I have and finish my trifecta.

Sorry I haven't been on or posting updates sun came out and well life got crazy and my lil helper is starting to walk and had to rearrange the handle and sheath area out of her reach. Lol

So the trifecta have been cleaned up to 180 grit then had a brilliant idea to try an finish two before tomorrow for my wife an my sister to get on mothers day. The shorter 1080 and the 1084 are ground to 400 grit since they are going to be a satin finish and are ready to glue scales tomorrow.
Thanks to all who have kindly,gruffly and politely suggested I use known steels MUCH EASIER TO GRIND. And .10 is alot to remove when your just starting grinding and trying to not burn the steel. Will post pics in am.
Thank You very much J. Doyle.

Last edited:
1d1399189ad2fc3d9cbfe981e15805a4.jpg

1084 for the wife with a set of acacia scales from one single scale

Last edited:
Back