Hibben's Knife Class vs. Texarkana College - American Bladesmith. Which is best?

Grizzly Bear

Hello everyone. I am new to knife making and need some advice badly.

I have just been buying finished blades and putting scales on them for friends and family. I have signed up for the Gil Hibben's Knife school to learn how to grind. From what I have heard and read, Mr. Hibbens is one of the best to learn from. Can anyone fill me in on what to expect?

Also I wanted to go to the Texarkana College - Blade Smith for a good foundation in blade smithing.

I have already signed up for the Hibben's class. Would it be worth wild to go to the Blade Smithing College next year or is the Hibben's class all I need?

Many thanks for your needed input.

Grizzly Bear

Can't ever have too much education. Both are good, but different. Nearly apples and oranges, but you end up with knives. Hibben is famous for his stock removal skills, and his designs are everywhere, and often mass produced. Forging is a one at a time deal, and a whole different set of skills. Early on, learn them both. You'll likely settle in to one mode or the other eventually.

Jason, Thanks so much for your reply.

Since I am retired I have plenty of time on my hands and want to learn new skills. I intend on putting my best into it.

Grizzly Bear

I took Gil Hibben's class when, like you, I retired. I would strongly recommend that you take the Texarkana College course. I wish I would have...

You will learn both forging and grinding @ Texarkana. Give me a call when you get a chance, I'd be glad to help you with some things.

Thanks for the advice Darrin and Smithy. I was kind of wanting to learn the blacksmithing part of knife making, it seems like you would be getting down to the core of working with steel. You can smell it and feel it at it's beginning. I will start saving my money for next year. I have already signed up for Hibben's class and can't afford the money to go to both this year.

I'll give you a call Darin, thanks.

God Bless,

Grizzly Bear

Back