Hello everyone

Hey guys and gals, I'm a starting knife maker hopefully. I'm 16 years old and from the great state of Louisiana. It has always been in the back of my mind to want to make knives or at least try my hand at a few. Until recently I have been putting it off but recently decided I'm going I pursue one of my dreams and hopefully make a few usable knives. Anyways just wanting to say hello and if anyone has any questions or anything I'll gladly answer. All help and advice with starting up my own shop would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Ormond Knives

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck and welcome. I think if you started a hobby like this at 16 and kept up with it over the years, you'd be light years ahead of us guys that start in their 40's. At your age, life will get in the way often, but keep at it. Have you made any yet? Pics?

I have not made any yet, I've only got a few on the drawing board, I won't have time until this summer so I decided to go ahead make sure I have everything I'll need a few months in advance

Ormond
I am always pleased to see/hear of a young person like yourself wanting to learn a skill! Most of todays kids only want to tap keys on a computer. Nothing wrong with that but making/fixing things with your hands is a noble profession. Good luck with you first knife ask questions and keep us posted!
Steve

I have not made any yet, I've only got a few on the drawing board, I won't have time until this summer so I decided to go ahead make sure I have everything I'll need a few months in advance

Ormond,
Welcome to the pack! Now is the time to look for some makers and knife maker groups in your town. Many have monthly and evening meetings and you might be able to start hanging around some guys and guys that you can learn from on Sat & Sundays.

I don't live near you but I know there's a lot of makers around you. Google Knife maker, and knife maker associations in your zip!

I feel like I have pretty much everything I need, seeing as my dad and grandfather own every tool under the sun it seems like, but what about I grinder, is there any specifics that I will need for now?

Back