What's your production EDC today?

These are with me everyday, 42, and Tachyon

DSCN0952.jpg

As you can tell the 42 is a little beat up.....
DSCN0950.jpg

I always have a my Lg Reg Seb with dbl silver studs... But I cant find a picture of it without another bali in it (my favorite style of knife....) so here's one with a Mayhem.

DSCN0151.jpg

I have been carring these for a while now CRKT Carson M16-13 and a Gerber shortcut, its a nice little multi-tool that fits in my pocket with ease and I like the scissors on it.2thumbs

My EDC changes often. But it’s always a production folder. Ya just can’t beat the uniformity of factory machines stamping out knife after knife after knife. Thousands upon thousands exactly the same.

Actually, I don’t own any customs. So……… ya know.:eek:

Enough chit chat. :rolleyes:
I’m sure you’re on the edge of your seat wondering what this stranger carries. The answer my friends………………

Spyderco Endura,
Plain Edge, Black FRN Scales, Blade Steel of VG-10 and a fresh new shinny edge by me. Doc P.

That’s the longest post I ever made to just say, ENDURA. :eek:

Evening Dogs!! :D

Of course its not quite this clean anymore. I actually own four of these model 6101s all various ages and all NIB with the exception of this one here that I updated just for myself back when I bought it new. Don't hold me to this but I think it was 1988. These old Gerber Sportsman I models are my all time faves of anything else ever made before or since although I do have and favor the Sportsman II and III as well as most of the PK models from Gerber also and I have some of each of them in my collection as well.

On this one I basically made it more modern by adding a thumb stud which has been changed like three times since doing it because back then I had to make my own basically. Then the pocket clip was added which at first was 300 series stainless, then 410 stainless and today the new one I did on it a few years ago is titanium. I also added bevels around the entire knife to make it less squared off. I carry it more now than I did after doing it. It actually sat for quite a few years after I did the add ons to it but here in the last couple years since adding the new clip and knurled stud to the knife I find I use it more now. Anyway, here she is. I realize to some this is probably sacrilege but hey, its mine and this is what I wanted. :p :D

STR

Attachments

• Gerber 6101 Folding Sportsman I upgrade 004.jpg
    Gerber 6101 Folding Sportsman I upgrade 004.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Gerber 6101 Folding Sportsman I upgrade 001.jpg
    Gerber 6101 Folding Sportsman I upgrade 001.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Gerber 6101 Folding Sportsman I upgrade 006.jpg
    Gerber 6101 Folding Sportsman I upgrade 006.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Gerber 6101 Folding Sportsman I upgrade 007.jpg
    Gerber 6101 Folding Sportsman I upgrade 007.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 33
I had a Gerber back in the '70s with the same style handle. It was about a four inch blade, looks like it was a bit bigger than yours. Any idea what model it might have been? I lost in on a misadventure. Mine had Osage Orange scales that my dad had put on it for me.

Nowadays, I EDC a Cold Steel XL Voyager Tanto, a Kershaw Blitz, I Spyderco Endura 4, a CRKT McGinnis Summa, or a Benchmade AFCK. I always have my SAK Tinker with me too for more "social" work.

I had a Gerber back in the '70s with the same style handle. It was about a four inch blade, looks like it was a bit bigger than yours. Any idea what model it might have been? I lost in on a misadventure. Mine had Osage Orange scales that my dad had put on it for me.

Nowadays, I EDC a Cold Steel XL Voyager Tanto, a Kershaw Blitz, I Spyderco Endura 4, a CRKT McGinnis Summa, or a Benchmade AFCK. I always have my SAK Tinker with me too for more "social" work.

Yes. I too updated my arsenal with the advent of the pocket clip and opening hole or stud. With that 'safety pause' feature all these old Gerbers had going on it was a bit funky to one hand open them but you got used to it. I did anyways.

Gerber made three models of the same knife they called the Sportsman but all three were different sizes. This one shown earlier is the 6101 Sportsman I. They made a Sportsman II with with a 3.5" blade which you see quite often still and it had 440C blade steel and came in a drop or clip point blade. The later version of this knife was equipped with a Vascoware blade steel and it is rarely seen at all anymore. They also did up a Sportsman III which was the big boy akin to the size of the Buck 110 or Schrade LB7. This sounds like the one you had. The III was about 5.125" closed and had like a 4.125" blade. Many of these when used in the field lost the nested wood inlay or they at the least would lift up some on one side warping sometimes. So a lot of the old users had replacements placed in there. I've seen them for sale on flea bay with micarta and I know it was not the way it came. Nicely done but not original. There are one or two on the bay now in fact. They show up quite regularly. There was one for a buy it now for $75 the other day and it was still NIB.

Some more of my faves from Pete Gerber are the older PK1 (Petes knife) model slip joint. This was a two blade model and although all these PK knives were squared off and thin just like the later Sportsman lockback series which made them quite easy to carry, it also made them prone to working holes in the pockets so a large complaint about them was the weight and the fact that people lost them due to how they'd just work their way right through a seam in a pocket with those squared off corners. Gerber offered and recommended sheaths but people rarely used them apparently.

I have a PK 1, 2 and 3 all new in the box bought when they were still sold in my home town in WV. I also have one of each that I made users and installed pocket clips on rather than carry one in a sheath or deep in my pocket. I was one of the guys that actually lost one of the PK 2 models carrying one deep. The PK2 is the single blade just like the PK1 only the single blade model had a brass liner lock to secure the blade. It was kind of revolutionary at the time for a slip joint. It was also my first liner lock. I have a pretty good collection of these old Gerbers. My all time favorite is the Magnum Hunter.

STR

Here ya go with some pics of my users for both the PK knives as well as the Sportsmans although all these are the clip blade models. My drop point models are new in the box and tucked away with the duplicates of all shown here and I only have one D in the Sportsman II and the PK 2 each. To my knowledge those are the only models that the D blade was ever offered in. I also have a clip point V blade (Vascoware) SII and my minty pinned Magnum Hunter but both are packed away and hard to get to also.

Anyway, I stuck my still minty fresh Schrade LB7 in there to compare to size. As you may already know the LB7 is even bigger than the Buck 110. As you can see the Gerber is bigger than both the 110 and the LB7 not only in overall length and width but also at 9 ounces its a full one ounce heavier than the LB7. The Gerber also came with a better blade steel in the day sporting 440C over the 420HC in the LB7. Some of the earlier Bucks had 440C blades also though.

You'll have to excuse the modifications I've done to these old stand by users of mine. Believe me these have been sporting clips and thumb studs for a lot longer than most others in my collection. This takes me back a ways. :D

STR

Attachments

• Gerber Sportsmand and PK knives 001.jpg
    Gerber Sportsmand and PK knives 001.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Gerber Sportsmand and PK knives 005.jpg
    Gerber Sportsmand and PK knives 005.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 39
Today I was packing the Chaos combo. The MF-4CM "Chaos 2" and the MTF-4Ti "Chaos Folder". Makes for a great edc package.

Attachments

• sklan2.jpg
    sklan2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 100_2083.jpg
    100_2083.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 43
  • 100_2078.jpg
    100_2078.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 46
First off... KRUPPSTAHL has some style. 2thumbs

Second... these are in my pockets now.
  1. Gerber Applegate Fairbairn Covert (with me for ~9 years)
  2. BM 42MC (with me for ~2 years)

I plan on swapping out the bali with one of my own small fixed blades once I've come up with an acceptable pocket sheath. I like the bali a lot... but it is not very acceptable as an EDC where I live, and until we can get the laws reevaluated, I guess I need to come into compliance. :eek:

Back