Crazzy Micarta

AkWildman

So I decided to make my own micarta for Ursus Horribilus.I couldn't find any red and black that was tripping my trigger.So after doing some homework this is what I came up with.I made a sacrificial mold out of a 2x6.First I drew a line down the center and two corresponding lines giving me a 1/4 inch gap and drew my pattern,next over to the band saws.I cut my material so I would end up with a 4x6 end product.Next I used smooth on due to the fact that it has a 24 hour pot life and gives me lots of time to work.Due to the wavy lines you need to make it about 1/2 to 3/4 thick on your raw material because you will be cutting to the low spots on each side.Glued it all up and put it in my bow laminating oven for two hours at 180 deg.This am I squared up the mold and ran it through my table saw and then through the thicknes planner cut and trimmed it and am ready to glue up some linners.IMAG0784.jpgIMAG0785.jpgIMAG0786.jpgIMAG0788.jpgIMAG0789.jpgIMAG0796.jpgIMAG0797.jpg

Waaay cool. Wish I had some more tools now. Grrrrr. Is simple mold and process with patterned results.

GORGEOUS!!! Great work! Ive seen others put beans or bb's before pressing to give it random swirls or imprints neat stuff

Back