D-2 .300 Hunting Knife - "Thrive" My first custom build

Rated G

I have always loved knives. One day, I decided I was going to build my own, with various features I find useful in a knife. Here is my first attempt... Pics will be posted as the build progresses. Please let me know what you think!

Steel: D2, .300"
Length overall: 12"
Handle: Curly Maple

Attachments

• photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 151
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 149
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 137
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 122
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 139
A few more pictures

Attachments

• photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 95
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 92
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 86
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Thanks, here are the latest...

What should I do for the handle scales? I have 1/8" and 1/4" stainless rod, 3/16" brass rod at my disposal... and should I put a lanyard hole?

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 52
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 56
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 68
I'm no pro or anything, but starting off with a 1/4" steel and a filing jig is a big job. I made my first one with the same kind of jig, but quite a bit thinner material. If you really want my opinion, you need to keep on filing, up and up. It has the cutting geometry of a hatchet right now. It would be crap load more work, but if you drew a line from the tip straight over to the point on the front of the scale, and filed up to there, I think you'd have a better performer. To my eye, you've got a lot of empty real estate up there right now.

As far as not many comments, they will come as people get to know you. I don't remember you introducing yourself really, you know, where you're from, what you like, your background etc. Maybe you did and I missed it, sorry if that's the case.

Congrats on the new creation and havin the stones to take on .25 with a file. There is like Anthony said alot of vacant space on that blade. (He is partial to flat and hollow grinds lol) I think some more bevel would look more appealing. But hey is just our opinions on YOUR KNIFE. Is up to you ultimately what you want.
It also would have been better manners to introduce yourself first.

My bad on the intro, or lack there of. On other forums I use (auto related) I have never intro'd myself - so I guess Im working in a different environment. I will make a new thread in that section.

On the grind, I have debated going further up, but I really enjoy the aesthetics of it as it is. I don't mind it being thick, I have plenty of small knives and filet knives.

The one debate that is really plaguing my build is to put a hole in back of the handle or just leave it with pins... the hole would be functional, but I don't know if it would look too tactical.

As far as filing .300" down to .015" isnt that bad. I have done far worse in my days in the shop :)

I think a lanyard on a big heavy chopper style knife is an excellent safety idea, if nothing else. I don't think a thong tube/lanyard hole would affect the look or style with or without really. I tend to want the hole in larger knives myself.

Think about that beastie slippin out your hand an your toe is the impact zone. A lanyard is a dam good idea.

So, I have considered running three pins, 1/8" closed to the blade, 1/4" mid way, and 1/2" with 1/4" hole at the end... I have oriented my curly maple to run the stripes length ways, instead of perpendicular to the blade. I have thinned up the blade on a belt sander, the remove the scratches on the sides of the blade. Its closer to 0.275" now. I might make the grind 1" vs the 0.9" that it is in the pics above.

slow progress, not much time to work on the knife lately. here are few pics

Attachments

• Snow.jpg
    Snow.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 49
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 41
  • hand.jpg
    hand.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 44
  • drawer.jpg
    drawer.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 42
The knives are completed!

What do you think of the final outcome?

Attachments

• TwinsCompleted.jpg
    TwinsCompleted.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 1of2solo.jpg
    1of2solo.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 62
Check out another completed one of the same blade design with a beautiful piece of Walnut

Attachments

• my knife with fish.jpg
    my knife with fish.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 33
  • my knife complete.jpg
    my knife complete.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 30
Back