Round Knife Design

CAJones

I have been wanting to make myself a round knife. I ordered a .052" thick piece of 13c26 and it arrived this morning. Would any of you that use a round knife frequently care to critique my designs? I drew up 2 this evening. Anything stand out that needs tweaking before I move forward?

The blades are 4 1/4" across
O4wua6p.jpg

This 2nd one I think I like better.
TlvF8v3.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Chris

Another design I drew up this evening upon request of a gentleman on another page. He wanted to see one with an angled offset handle.
hl3U5SZ.jpg

Thanks,
Chris

I'm assuming you're going to grind the blade convex? from the picture it looks like you might be doing a grind, I would recommend against that. Love the look of the loveless bolts, and the blade design looks good

Thanks Chef. It will be convex, was just trying to estimate how far back I should take the convex.

Chris

Bleh, cleaned out some photos with the unintended consequence of losing photos here.

I tweaked things one last time anyhow. I think you were right in that the handles needed to be a bit longer Laurence and I didn't like the straight lines in the quilons. I'm really liking the looks of these a lot better.
955FbmC.jpg

It looks like I'm going to end up with 6 total out of my piece of stock. Maybe that will be enough to get the grind right on at least one of them! :34:
ZWsF9ub.jpg

Thanks,
Chris

Chris,
Those handles look like they will be much more comfy to hold. If a customer has smaller or a ladies Petite hand you can narrow the handle a bit or just make the scales thinner for He/She. Handles are better a bit large than a bit small especially when grasping them closed fist in a draw cut hold.

I just sharpened a couple of new common USA made store bought brand of head knives for a customer and having the larger size hands I do I can't see how anyone could use one of those with the small thin handles the have with any degree of comfort for any length of time?

The last two round leather head knives I made about 6-7 years ago I used liners on full 1/2" scales on them and bulbed the handles like an old style carpet knife.

The customer raved about how comfortable they were to use all day. I lost those pics a few years back LOL Kinda like this, to give you a idea of what I did. AUA.jpeg With a little more of a bulb at the top. Like a gear shift.

Have Fun and stay safe.

Thanks Laurence. I am certainly glad I spent as long in the design stage as I did. I wouldn't have been happy if I would have cut out my first designs.

Chris

Finished a couple slips for 2 of the knives. They turned out well I think. The walnut handled knife won't come out unless you want it to and it takes some pretty vigorous upside down shaking to get the other to come loose(the bolsters make it at least half again heavier than the other).
rhc0iXB.jpg

2TaG3vC.jpg

Chris

Spent the day test driving a Dave Ferry round knife and skiving knife(part of a passaround on another forum I frequent). My own self made round knife on the top right. Mine cuts well, but getting the chance to use it next to Dave's definitely gave me some insight on where mine can improve.
ezzdc2s.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Chris

Chris - just how does the "Pass around' round knife work better than your knife? Your work sure looks good to me. Does the offset round blade work better than the handle centered round blade of your's? BTW, I "think" I like the walnut handle better... just always liked walnut, it's got a nice warm look/feel.

Ken H>

Thanks Ken. There were a couple things that made Dave's knife work better. If you'll notice my handle is offset as well, just not quite as noticeable as his and I don't think this was a factor one way or the other. However, his handle being about 3/4" shorter allows the knife to roll down farther and get only the very tip in the leather for tight turns. Also, I should have ground mine just a touch thinner. My bevel is nearly twice as tall as his but his knife is thinner right behind the edge. Essentially they need ground to zero. His is also polished along the edge better than mine. This allows the knife to just slide through the leather without any resistance.

I have 3 more blanks heat treated and ready to finish when I get the chance. I'm hoping to put to use everything I've learned with these.
Thanks again.
Chris

Evolution of a design. Reground my other 3 blanks this week to address some areas they could be improved upon. Shortened the handles, thinned the edge and removed the acute points. Have one of these getting a handle and headed out to saddle maker Ronny L Martin next week!
Fy6fY8v.jpg

Chris

Back