How do you pack and/or carry knives in transit?

CAJones

I was asked to show some of my knives to a gentleman interested in buying one. It was more convenient for both of us to meet at a public location after work. All I had convenient was a duffel bag. To me this looks unprofessional and does very little if anything in protecting the knives and sheaths from rubbing and damaging each other.

What does everyone else use to transport to a show or if asked to meet someone in a public location? I'm not talking high end knives that would justify their own box handcuffed to the maker:what!:, I'm talking about user knives up to a couple hundred dollars in value.

I've considered something like a multiple pouch tactical shooting bag or a roll of some sort with multiple slots but have yet to find anything to my liking.

Thanks as always,
Chris

Probably the best idea I've seen is a heavily padded rifle/shotgun case, they're fairly cheap and secure. You can also get Pelican cases in different sizes. Personally I pack mine in my violin case along with my Tommy gun.

Rudy

HA! I live in California, you show up at the park with a rifle case and SWAT will be there in seconds. I use local gun shops to sell my knives. Lots of traffic there and when a special order comes up they call me and I meet them there. The best part is the customer gets one of my knives, I get what I want for the knives and the store gets a consignment fee. Everybody wins.

I've found that older an Suit case or Attaché case with your knives wrapped in clean cloths to be the best way to transport to a show or to a meeting with someone.

I also live in California and just don't think it's wise to carry in my blades in anything that looks military or firearm like. I don't want to alarm any police and I don't want to attract any thieves ether. Just look like someone going about their day to day business that's not dripping with money or valuables.

About 15 years ago when I was really getting rolling in knife making I would load my two old suit cases from the Salvation Army with my blades into my old 67 Plymouth Beverde. it was worth about a grand and my knives were worth about 5-$10.000 depending on how many I was taking to the show.:biggrin:

I was always more concerned that I didn't get rear ended than I if I crashed into anything!:3:

Thanks fellas. I'll have to look in to the pelican cases. Laurence, what kind of cloth do you use to wrap?

I had thought about looking to see if I could find a shooters bag in the size to fit my needs. They come with multiple compartments and the mag slots would work well for holding folders if I can ever get myself in gear to making more of those. Also, it had dawned on me that socks would be perfect for placing fixed blades and you wouldn't have to worry about them unwrapping. Now if I can just find some cool looking socks that don't look like socks! :biggrin:

Thanks again,
Chris

Thanks fellas. I'll have to look in to the pelican cases. Laurence, what kind of cloth do you use to wrap?

I had thought about looking to see if I could find a shooters bag in the size to fit my needs. They come with multiple compartments and the mag slots would work well for holding folders if I can ever get myself in gear to making more of those. Also, it had dawned on me that socks would be perfect for placing fixed blades and you wouldn't have to worry about them unwrapping. Now if I can just find some cool looking socks that don't look like socks! :biggrin:

Thanks again,
Chris

Chris, I've used new white gym towels and one thing that I kinda prefer is older used towels. The are super soft and it's a way of color coding too. When flying it can't be a lockable case so TSA can check them out.

That stands for, Too many Standing Around. :34: Also, I throw old drying packs from electronic equipment boxes or the kind you put in a gun a safe in my knife travel bags if there is a moisture issue or they will be there for a day or two.

Then I'm sure to wipe all of the knives down when I get to the event/show and reapply a coat of wax to the blades.

I use to buy Renaissance wax until one day I ran out and used some auto polish wax "Rain Dance" and have been using those for well over a decade.

Once again, I live in California and if I'm going to the gun range, its fine to look like I am and if I'm not, I don't want to look like I am. It could cut down on the amount of questions and time I may have to burn through with some LEO saving me from myself.

Last edited:
I use a Pelican type, hard case.

Flying comes with it's own unique challeges....for example, when I fly to Atlanta for the Blade Show, I use the same "hard" case, but because the airline will not allow a lock, or worse, require a "TSA" lock, UNLESS the case contains a "firearm", I place a handgun in the case, and declare it at the check-in counter. The most recent requirements for air travel with a firearm includes that the case must have TWO padlocks on it, and the case must be hand carried from check-in to that aircraft, and from the aircraft to baggage claim at the destination. I like the way they do it in Atlanta.....I have to show my I.D. before they will release the case to me. Its a little extra time and check-in....especially with the Atlanta airport, but to date I've had no problems doing it the way I do.

Many makers use either UPS or FedX to ship their knives to shows....I tried that ONCE. I shipped my knives to Atlanta, via next day service, (that was on Tuesday before the show) thinking they would be there waiting for me when I arrived on Thursday evening.....NOT! In fact the knives didn't arrive until late on Saturday morning! First and last time I tired that.

Living in Montana has its perks....here its expected that a person IS carrying a firearm/handgun, and its not uncommon to go visit my rancher friends, with their first words being "Hi Ed! What gun did you bring?" Once I didn't take one with me, and got my butt chewed by my friend.... "Don't you ever come here without a sidearm! Here, a gun isn't any different then a rake, hoe, or a shovel....its just another tool. Maybe thats one reason the crime isn't terrible here....."victims" usually have a handy means of self-defense! (they shoot back) :)

I use a large pistol case.I think it holds 4 large frame pistols and holds all the knives I've had to tote around in order to show someone.I don't worry to much about someone robbing me in Alaska and Leo dosent mess with me .I do like the idea of a nice old briefcase.Looks a bit classier

Oh and to mirror Ed's comment about the only time you will find me without a weapon is if I'm naked and we just won't go there.

Thanks fellas. Eric, I really like that bag.

Does anyone use individual zippered soft cases for each knife and have it be part of the knife "package" when purchased?

Chris

Thanks fellas. Eric, I really like that bag.

Does anyone use individual zippered soft cases for each knife and have it be part of the knife "package" when purchased?

Chris

Chris,
I've seen that for some high end folders and Art knives With Mammoth Ivory, MOP Damascus bolstered etc. It can add a touch of class if you have a real gem of a knife in there. If not, It can be a turd in the punch bowl so to speak.

Chris,
I've seen that for some high end folders and Art knives With Mammoth Ivory, MOP Damascus bolstered etc. It can add a touch of class if you have a real gem of a knife in there. If not, It can be a turd in the punch bowl so to speak.

:what!: Guess I had better wait a few years before I start putting them in zippered cases then!

Chris

i use a molded plastic case about the size of an attache case. the inside has molded foam top and bottom. i wrap the knives in wash clothes or hand towels. If asked by anyone, the case contains Cutlery. for some reason that is ok, Knives seems to freak LE and ordinary citizens out.

I have a heavily padded messenger bag that I like using, HAZARD 4 made mine I am sure there is more out there.
Does anyone have some better methods?

Back