Found hardness tester, opinions before I buy?

Unloaded it last night, and did I say this thing is heavy? Looking though the little book that came with it and it appears this is the tallest or widest throat of all the models. Guess that explains the weight somewhat.
SAM_2166.jpg SAM_2164.jpg SAM_2165.jpg
At first, I had a sinking feeling, I didn't think it worked. After I few minutes of panic reading and studying, I realized what the extra weights were for, I only had one of them on the hanger. Realized that all 3 are supposed to be on it for the C scale. Whew! Put a test block on and rechecked it.
SAM_2162.jpg SAM_2161.jpg
Can't get much better than that! I had a box of extras. A few test blocks, all 4 original anvils, some extra points, and 3 little pouches. One little pouch has some tiny tools in it, not sure what they're for though?
SAM_2168.jpg
Gonna try it on some knife steel tonight, got two I need to heat treat.

Yep, from looking at all you got, I'd say you did real good..... more like "REALLY GREAT!!!" Congrats Anthony.

Ken H>

Heated treated 2 blades tonight. Checked one of them in 3 places, on both sides. The butt end was where I had tongs holding it in quench and was the last part of the steel to enter oil. This 1095 is confusing to me with this shallow hardening.
photo 2.jpg
Now I'm also questioning other things too. Like, I know I've seen knives advertised with an edge hardness and a spine hardness. But, everything I've read seems to say you can't get an accurate measurement on a bevel, test has to be at 90 degrees. So, I wondered if this the way they're doing it? I got a measurement since my edge was still a dimes thickness. Doesn't appear to be a reliable method to me.
photo 1.jpg

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 11
Anthony, you're correct, the metal must be flat, smooth (ideally 200 grit or better) with both sides parallel to each other. The only way I know to get edge hardness is to heat treat before grinding the bevel, check Rc, then grind bevel without over heating and changing the Rc.

Like you, I'm not at all sure the edge you show would give a reliable reading - very wide blade and possible flex.

Ken

Self, be careful the way you set that diamond penetrator on your blades, if you chip that diamond or upset it in the setting it's ruined. and new ones are big bucks, even used.

Back