edge retention testing

Kurt Krueger

I'll just lob this out there and keep it wide open. What do you guys do, or recommend, as a testing routine for edge retention?

I realize that the kind of knife under test will affect the answer, so please qualify responses by identifying the type of knife associated with specific testing.

Thanks

-Kurt

The best way is to cut stuff that the knife was intended to cut when it was made. If its for chopping wood, chop wood. If its an EDC for cutting boxes & rope, cut boxes and rope. If its a kitchen knife for veggies & meat, cut veggies and meat.

I test my skinners by skinning deer,my fillet knives by cutting meat,my kitchen knives doing kitchen chores ,my pocket knives by cutting a little bit of everything. Too bad I can't test my self defense knives by cutting/stabbing bad guys.

Thanks, my first knee jerk reaction was just that, use it for its intended purpose, that's as real-world as it gets, but that also makes the testing more subjective. I was just wondering if there were some standardized methods that might be more objective and comparative.

-Kurt

I mostly rely on feedback from my customers. As a free service I sharpen their knives whenever needed and get to see the knife again and again and hear hunting stories. I like the communication with them and sometimes get another order or two as a bonus. Ive used my own blades in the shop for years also.

Wayne Goddard used to do demos on knife sharpening. He had a bathroom scale with newspaper on it and cut rope. He would count the cuts and record his results. He also showed us different sharpening methods. The razor edge I like so well actually cut less cuts than the toothy edge left from a stone.

In years past the test that I used the most was taking push cuts off of a 3/4" hemp rope. That was in my JS days, when I was insane about cutting ability. I would place a 2x4 edgewise in a vise, and use it to rest the rope upon....then tape off all but an inch section of a blade and start cutting. When the blade stopped shaving hair, I considered it dull. I won't mention the number of cuts achieved, but lets just say there comes a point when you ask yourself....."how many cuts is enough?" I quit telling people when.... I'd tell them the number of cuts a given blade did, and they would roll their eyes at me.

As far as "standardize" tests.....they don't exist, with the exception of the ABS performance testing. The ABS is the only "knife" organization I am aware of that requires a knife to pass a given set of performance tests. And in reality, those tests are as much about the knowledge and abilities of the Bladesmith, as they are about the knife. For those who choose to take the ABS path, just passing the performance test(s) awards the individual credibility in the area of knife performance.

That being said, the best thing an individual knifemaker can do is develop his/her own testing methods, and hold themselves to a "standard" while seeking to improve along the way. Don't get wrapped up in stabbing steel drums, hacking on cinder blocks and such....that's all hype and hogwash. Think about things that your knives are intended to do, and/or will be doing. The fact of the matter is that in general, even an "average" custom knife will far out perform anything from the commercial side. Its up to the indivdiual knifemaker to continually seek improvement in all aspects of their knives.

Years ago Wayne Goddard taught me something that has served me well....

A Custom Knife MUST:
1. Look Good
2. Feel Good
3. Work Good

The first two things are pretty simply and straightforward, the third ("Work Good") must come from inside the knifemaker, meaning that its not something readily visible, and can only be realized once the knife is placed in a using situation. This is the aspect of a knife that shows whether or not the knifemaker has taken the time and effort to develop and conduct performance tests on their knives...and in short will dictate a knifemakers reputation to many people/clients. My advice is to make each and every knife, from the lowest end utility knife, to the highest end "collector" knife with performance being the most important aspect. Doing so is the difference between a "knifemaker" and someone who makes "knife shaped objects".

This is all good advice. I use all of it at different times.

Cardboard and sisal rope are two of my favorites.

I like sisal rope because if your heat treat and temper are off, sisal can actually roll, flatten or micro chip an edge. Even after a few cuts.

If I'm testing a new steel or change my procedure, I might stand and make hundreds of cuts in sisal rope to compare it to my past experience but I certainly don't waste that much time and rope on every blade.

"That being said, the best thing an individual knifemaker can do is develop his/her own testing methods, and hold themselves to a "standard" while seeking to improve along the way. Don't get wrapped up in stabbing steel drums, hacking on cinder blocks and such....that's all hype and hogwash. Think about things that your knives are intended to do, and/or will be doing. The fact of the matter is that in general, even an "average" custom knife will far out perform anything from the commercial side. Its up to the indivdiual knifemaker to continually seek improvement in all aspects of their knives."

I couldn't agree more, unfortunately hype and hogwash sell. That is why so many do it. I try to continually learn myself and help others experience performance as well. To me nothing is better than to have someone truly experience what knives can do. It is really like anything there is crap/average/good/excellent. I strive for excellence, I know that it is a lifelong journey, I am thankful for everyone who has been a part of my learning. I know I have learned a lot from this forum as well.

Back