When to Start Selling

BrandantR

Greetings, my fellow Knife Dogs and blade junkies. I’ve been making folding knives for about a year and a half now and have loved the journey so far. Each knife that I have made has turned out a little better than the last as I try to improve my skills in at least one area for every knife I make. I have folder number 21 on my bench now and I ask myself, “Self, when will I be ready to start selling a few of my knives?”

I make my knives as a hobby and a passion with no real desire to do it as a fulltime job, at least not at this point in time. But, on the other hand, it would be nice if my hobby could at least pay for itself. Not to mention that I’ve been using some fairly rudimentary tools and would love to be able to upgrade to a real 2x72 grinder instead my 4x36 from Homedepot and my melamine disks with sandpaper glued to the edges and chucked up in my lathe to produce my hollow grinds. Yeah, I know, that’s pretty sad.

All of the knives I have made so far I have either given away to family members or kept for my own collection. As I’m sure you all know, the cost of materials can be quite high and I try to use good quality materials for all my knives. I know that I’m my own worst critic and I see every flaw that exists in my knives. I know that perfection is a long ways down the road from where I am now, but I think the quality of my knives is pretty good and I'm quite proud of them. But, then when I look at photos of knives made by the big names in the industry, I have to hide my head in shame. Maybe I’m just setting the bar too high for myself right now, or maybe I should just keep working at it until I reach that “flawless” point and start selling then.

So, after all my ramblings, and thank you by the way for indulging me, my question to you all is, when did you know your knives were good enough to sell?

I’ll try posting a few pics tonight after I get home of a few of my knives in order for your comments to be more subjective when offering advice. I really want some honest opinions here, so please don’t sugar coat it; just call it like you see it. My skin is pretty thick, so don’t worry about offending me.

I ask myself, “Self, when will I be ready to start selling a few of my knives?”
Not to mention that I’ve been using some fairly rudimentary tools and would love to be able to upgrade to a real 2x72 grinder instead my 4x36 from Homedepot and my melamine disks with sandpaper glued to the edges and chucked up in my lathe to produce my hollow grinds. Yeah, I know, that’s pretty sad.

All of the knives I have made so far I have either given away to family members or kept for my own collection. As I’m sure you all know, the cost of materials can be quite high and I try to use good quality materials for all my knives. I know that I’m my own worst critic and I see every flaw that exists in my knives. I know that perfection is a long ways down the road from where I am now, but I think the quality of my knives is pretty good and I'm quite proud of them. But, then when I look at photos of knives made by the big names in the industry, I have to hide my head in shame. Maybe I’m just setting the bar too high for myself right now, or maybe I should just keep working at it until I reach that “flawless” point and start selling then.

when did you know your knives were good enough to sell?

hi, year 2 for me doing this. first and last question first, when folks will buy them. i make basic fixed blade knives, paring/utility with 3" to 4" blades and cleaver/nakiri with 5" to 8" blades. for me is was "saleph, why do i want a handmade knive? why not just spend $9.99 at wally world or tarjay?" for me the biggies were handle and blade shape. most commercial knives have a one size fits none handle.
knife materials for a carbon steel knife are really inexpensive, $10 to $20 for a 4" paring knife if you dont go crazy with handle material. boss lady needs help, more later.

I ask myself, “Self, when will I be ready to start selling a few of my knives?”

Well, since you asked me directly...:biggrin: My newb opinion is just that, but I'd say you should have already been selling. I haven't seen your knives yet, but I'd say after 21 folders you should have it down. I bet you've already lost your first 10 sales because you've given the knives to what would have been your first customers for free.

I started selling with only my 6th knife. I told the guy it was my 6th and I was still new, and that it had a few flaws, but I think that made him want it even more. People like the feeling of getting in on something when its still new, who knows, you might be famous someday and serial #22 could be worth a lot of money!

I just price my blades low and I tell everyone that's because I'm new. I also warn them that that price is going to go up considerably one of these days, but for now I just want to get out the word, recoup my costs, and make new knife friends. Maybe someday they'll come back an buy a $200 or $500 knife from me.

I'm anxious to see your pics and DON'T GIVE ANYMORE AWAY! Well, unless you want to give me one, that'd be ok, but no more after that.

That is a good question and tough to answer. I have been at it a year and the 4th knife I made I sold. As my quality has gone up my price has to. I guess when people want to start buying them and asking about them it's time. I send my knives off for heat treat so I'm confident in the steel performing well. I was hesitant to sell to as I'm critical of my work but we all are and I think that's just the nature of it. I say if you have people interested in buying go for it.

As my quality has gone up my price has to. I guess when people want to start buying them and asking about them it's time. I'm confident in the steel performing well. I was hesitant to sell to as I'm critical of my work but we all are and I think that's just the nature of it. I say if you have people interested in buying go for it.

Every knife you make is a knife you can sell at some price point, and someone will think they got a good deal. It's your responsibility to not take advantage of people and to be clear and honest about what you're making, but I think it ends there--people can make their own decisions with their own money. If you need to make sales in order to sustain the hobby and aren't making them, the only person who is getting a bad deal is you.

I think I sold my first 6 years ago for $75 and was happy to get it. Sold my last one last week for $800 and was even happier.

Every knife you make is a knife you can sell at some price point, and someone will think they got a good deal. It's your responsibility to not take advantage of people and to be clear and honest about what you're making, but I think it ends there--people can make their own decisions with their own money. If you need to make sales in order to sustain the hobby and aren't making them, the only person who is getting a bad deal is you.

I think I sold my first 6 years ago for $75 and was happy to get it. Sold my last one last week for $800 and was even happier.
I agree with that. I told people up front how long I had been making knives and generally they were ok with it and the sales worked out for both parties I made a little to dump back in to the hobby and the customer got a good solid knife. Like you I think around $75 was my first few sales and I was thrilled , heck I'm still excited when someone wants to buy a knife I made.....maybe one of these days I will hit the $800 mark

I Started out making knives and still do for the fun of it. At first the knives were really raw and as I got better at it I made a total of 10 knives for for a few of my very close friends and their sons who hunt . They startted to show off the knives to their friends and my first break was to make a raffle knife at a local game dinner. . It was a 5 dollar raffle that sold immediately. At the end of the dinner I had a pile of guys asking me to buy one of my knives. SO I started making knives and I made a logo that I serial numbered the first 20 knives and I wasnt going to serial any more after the first 20. So out of nowhere I had a pile of guys that wanted one of my knives with a serial number . I think Ive been blessed to still have guys ordering knives from me.. I dont serial number any more buy I keep record of every knife i sell and Im up to about 130 knives so far.

I guess what Im trying to say is , make a small batch of knives and give them away to family and friends like you've been doing , but now its time to put a price tag on it. You'll be amazed . People will show them off and the word will spread . Theres always someone out there to own a hand made knife .

Good Luck and start selling your knives..

I wanted to thank everyone who took the time to respond to this thread. You have all given me the encouragement that I needed to try selling my first knife. <br><br> I mentioned that I would post some photos of knives that I have made so far, but my photo skills are really lacking. My sweet wife donated a piece of white cloth for me to make a light tent with, but I haven't had time to make it yet. So, in the mean time, here is a pic of the knife I made for myself and carry with me everyday. It's a good little knife and I've put it through its paces.

DSC_0001.jpg

Again, thanks to everyone who chimed in with your thoughts and personal experiences.&nbsp; Now all I have to do is get a decent photo of the knife I intend to sell and figure out a price to ask.

You're kidding! If its made as well as it looks, you've already lost a bunch of money! Looks like a high dollar knife to me, can't wait to see more pics. I think you're way past ready.:35:

Thank you so much for your replies about my knife. You have really given me the courage to try selling one. I still don't have my light tent made for taking photos, but I took a few pics on my kitchen island. Here are three more from my personal collection if you care to take a look.

DSC_0006.jpgDSC_0004.jpgDSC_0009.jpgDSC_0010.jpg

I think I'm going to try selling the last knife. It's a little Damascus Persian with buffalo horn scales. I'll try posting it over on the "For Sale" forum and see if I can get a bit. Wish me luck.

I would cheerfully accept any of those knives if you want to give one to me? :3:

I think you are more than ready to be selling those folders. For starts, I was told to sell each knife for enough money to make three more. One third goes to more materials, one third goes for new machinery and one third goes to the wifey. I didn't have a wife at the time so the last third went to my rent, bills etc..

I now use a formula that's 5-7 times materials.

that folder looks pretty good, but how does it perform? You better send me one so I can test it out.

I sold the first blade I made. The VERY first one was from a cheap blank. I handled it and made a really horrible leather sheath for it and sold it on ebay for $25. Then made some smaller ones from blanks and sold all those. Then sold several other blanks for a little more money. And then finally started doing the steel stock removal as well and still not selling them for much.

I would cheerfully accept any of those knives if you want to give one to me? :3:

I think you are more than ready to be selling those folders. For starts, I was told to sell each knife for enough money to make three more. One third goes to more materials, one third goes for new machinery and one third goes to the wifey. I didn't have a wife at the time so the last third went to my rent, bills etc..

I now use a formula that's 5-7 times materials.

Laurence, the consensus from this thread is to not give any more away, so I guess I better comply. You should have asked last week before I got all this great advice LOL!

Your suggestion on pricing is exactly what I did to price the little Damascus persian. I figured up the actual material cost and multiplied by 3. I'll be very happy if someone thinks it's worth the cost. Thanks for all your input.

To start out I think your knives look good. As far as some of the comments I would not jump into selling your knives simply because someone is willing to buy but rather when you feel that you would be happy with having your name on it years down the road. I made the mistake of making and selling knives based of of others designs or what I thought others would want. I have seen some of my knives posted or shared on FB that I wish were never produced and I really don't want associated with my name. It is too late for that. All I saw was the money that I could make and not the future implications it may cause. So my suggestion is to be happy with your work and make sure it is something you feel you will be happy with even as your skills improve.

To start out I think your knives look good. As far as some of the comments I would not jump into selling your knives simply because someone is willing to buy but rather when you feel that you would be happy with having your name on it years down the road. I made the mistake of making and selling knives based of of others designs or what I thought others would want. I have seen some of my knives posted or shared on FB that I wish were never produced and I really don't want associated with my name. It is too late for that. All I saw was the money that I could make and not the future implications it may cause. So my suggestion is to be happy with your work and make sure it is something you feel you will be happy with even as your skills improve.

This is exactly what my major concern has been for starting to sell. My name goes onto every knife, so I want it associated with quality work. I've finally gotten to the point that I like what I see, and although they are not perfect, I think twenty years from now I will not be too ashamed of my early pieces. Thanks for your input and personal experience.

I am already selling and I have no knives officially made yet ;)
Just CAD Designs

I REALLY NEED $$$$ AND EQUIPMENT!!@!!!!@$%R akewpogj

I am already selling and I have no knives officially made yet ;)
Just CAD Designs

I REALLY NEED $$$$ AND EQUIPMENT!!@!!!!@$%R akewpogj

I know how you feel. Most of the major equipment you need to make knives regularly comes with a hefty price tag. I enjoy making knives and will continue to make them whether someone buys them or not, but it would be nice to have a hobby that pays for itself. Thanks for your comment.

Back