Justin Presson, my first year review

Justin Presson

Since Anthony and Wallace posted there first year I thought I would to.

I started out like everyone else not a clue about knifemaking and not the tools to do it. The reason I started was because I lost a knife about 5 years ago that my dad gave me when I was young. A Schrade golden spike I think they were called nothing fancy but I liked it and I have felt bad ever since. So I decided to make a knife to replace it. I started with a kit and just was not happy with the results, it was almost harder being restricted to that design.
So after that one tried to make one from scratch and that is when the addiction started.
I started with a file jig and made the first 3 knives.

Here is my first.

Then a few more

I showed them to friends and family and got good feedback and got a couple wanting to buy. My dad asked if i wanted to borrow some tools and that's when I got the 1x42. I was excited for the upgrade.

Some more I made after that.

That seemed to be a popular model I kept getting request for.

Some where along the lines I decided it was time to upgrade to a 2x72 I seen a used Wilmont LB1000 come up so I went for it.

I decided to try a folder so I could carry one of my knives so made a friction.

I think I have made about 20 knives now. I have learned so much about knives, steel, wood and everything else that goes with making a knife, but I feel like I have sooooo much more to learn. I figure I'm 32 years old so I should pace myself . Not that my wife is on KD but I'm pretty lucky to have her I know she gets sick of me researching constantly on here and other sites not to mention staying up late to work on knives all the time.
I have learned so much from this forum and realized how awesome and giving the knifemaking community is, I hope to be a part of it for a long time to come and be able to one day give back.

Thanks for checking it out and thanks for answering my dumb newbie questions whenever I have asked.

Justin

Also forgot thanks Darrin Sanders for always answering my phone calls and putting up with me pestering you.
He has done all my heat treat and is a great guy......but I do hope to be in a position to buy my own heat treat oven this year

Nice job, Justin. I love these things - wish more nubees would do it. COME ON YOU GUYS!!!!!!! I counted 16 pictures on this post. How did you get past the 10 pic limit?

Wallace

Great post Justin. The progress you've made is downright amazing. As you gain more knowledge and obtain more tools you'll only get better. I can't wait to see what you're doing in 5 years.
Thanks for the kind words. Don't ever hesitate to call me because I actually enjoy talking with you. You're a quick learner and obviously apply the knowledge you gain very well. Seeing the pics of these well made knives is all the reward I need in return for anything I've been able to help you with.
Keep up the good work.

Nice job, Justin. I love these things - wish more nubees would do it. COME ON YOU GUYS!!!!!!! I counted 16 pictures on this post. How did you get past the 10 pic limit?

Wallace
Thanks Wallace, I uploaded them all to photobucket then copied the link since I remembered you saying there was a limit.

Great post Justin. The progress you've made is downright amazing. As you gain more knowledge and obtain more tools you'll only get better. I can't wait to see what you're doing in 5 years.
Thanks for the kind words. Don't ever hesitate to call me because I actually enjoy talking with you. You're a quick learner and obviously apply the knowledge you gain very well. Seeing the pics of these well made knives is all the reward I need in return for anything I've been able to help you with.
Keep up the good work.
Thanks for the kind words. I always enjoy talking with you too.

Good job Justin! Like I told Wallace the other day, I think seeing it all together at once like this really gives a better feel of how it's going for us new guys. One of the things I have felt a little handicapped with lately is making the same knife over and over once I offered it for sale. Looking at the pics, I'd say you're doing a little of the same. It's cool that people like a design, but then again it's not as much fun to make the same one multiple times. By the way, I really like that pic of the hunter with the bow, I voted for that one on the photo contest and still think its a great pic and a nice knife.

Good job Justin! Like I told Wallace the other day, I think seeing it all together at once like this really gives a better feel of how it's going for us new guys. One of the things I have felt a little handicapped with lately is making the same knife over and over once I offered it for sale. Looking at the pics, I'd say you're doing a little of the same. It's cool that people like a design, but then again it's not as much fun to make the same one multiple times. By the way, I really like that pic of the hunter with the bow, I voted for that one on the photo contest and still think its a great pic and a nice knife.
I completely agree with you on making the same knife. It's nice to sell some but being new at least for me I want to try all kinds of styles.
I actually stopped taking orders. Might not be business smart but I want to get caught up and then just offer the knives for sale as I get them made up.

I completely agree with you on making the same knife. It's nice to sell some but being new at least for me I want to try all kinds of styles.
I actually stopped taking orders. Might not be business smart but I want to get caught up and then just offer the knives for sale as I get them made up.

I think there are a lot of guys that end up doing that. Orders can feel like a sword hanging over your head sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also, Darrin is a great guy and a heck of a heat treater. I've got a couple 52100 chef's knives going to him hopefully soon. Gives good advice too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Justin I've just started this winter in serious knife making. Darrin heat treated my first batch of 5 blades. There was an outline in the surface residue on a few of my blades of a unique design that intrigued me. Now I see that they had to be yours!

Your work looks great Justin and you have come a long way quickly. I can see why those capers are popular.

Rudy

Justin,

I'm inspired enough by your work to come out of hiding with my first post and ask you how you profile and cut your blades out?

Thanks for sharing. Like everyone says, it's really nice to see a post like yours to show where you come from although I'll have to say your knives look like you've been making them much longer than a year.

Please keep posting. A picture is worth a thousand words and you make knives worthy of a picture.

Justin I've just started this winter in serious knife making. Darrin heat treated my first batch of 5 blades. There was an outline in the surface residue on a few of my blades of a unique design that intrigued me. Now I see that they had to be yours!
Lol cool. You are more than welcome to use any profiles you see of mine too if you like.

Justin,

I'm inspired enough by your work to come out of hiding with my first post and ask you how you profile and cut your blades out?

Thanks for sharing. Like everyone says, it's really nice to see a post like yours to show where you come from although I'll have to say your knives look like you've been making them much longer than a year.

Please keep posting. A picture is worth a thousand words and you make knives worthy of a picture.

Glad to hear that!! Thanks for the compliment.
As far as cutting out blades I use dykem to coat the steel bar then trace my pattern on to that. Then I use my harbor freight bandsaw to cut as close as I can to the profile. Then I take it to the grinder to clean it up and grind down to my patter.
Before the bandsaw I would lay it out the same then use a hacksaw with a good blade and cut it out that way. On the tight radius like the finger choil I will drill holes. Then I used good double cut @@@@@@@ files to file the profile.
I hope that helps if I can offer any other advice I would be glad to help.

Here is a link to a small work in progress I did on my first knife if that helps at all.
http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?36145-WIP-first-knife

Not sure what tools you have so referenced both ways.
Justin

Glad to hear that!! Thanks for the compliment.
As far as cutting out blades I use dykem to coat the steel bar then trace my pattern on to that. Then I use my harbor freight bandsaw to cut as close as I can to the profile. Then I take it to the grinder to clean it up and grind down to my patter.
Before the bandsaw I would lay it out the same then use a hacksaw with a good blade and cut it out that way. On the tight radius like the finger choil I will drill holes. Then I used good double cut @@@@@@@ files to file the profile.
I hope that helps if I can offer any other advice I would be glad to help.

Here is a link to a small work in progress I did on my first knife if that helps at all.
http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?36145-WIP-first-knife

Not sure what tools you have so referenced both ways.
Justin

Thanks for that additional link and information on your process. I'm just getting started myself and I'm aquiring tools and learing as much as I can. I'm going to not have the luxury of many of the fancier tools such as a mill or nice grinder starting out so I'm really enjoying seeing that quality work can be done without having top notch equipment. Thanks again.

Back