Knife Making Startup Costs....Need Input/Help

madupree

I have compiled a spreadsheet of all the tools I could think of that I would need to startup my knife making venture. If anyone sees anything that I'm missing, input would be greatly appreciated.

Belt Grinder(chassis)
$840.00
(www.beaumontmetalworks.com Model-KMG-PL)

Belt Grinder Motor
$260.00
(www.waynecoeartistblacksmith.com)
(1.5hp 1800rpm 3phase TEFC finned cast aluminum body)

Belt Grinder VFD
$450.00
(www.waynecoeartistblacksmith.com Model-KBAC 27D)

Belt Grinder Addt'l Components
$325.00
(www.beaumontmetalworks.com)
(Small Wheel Attachemnt Model-SWF)
(Aluminum Spare Tooling Arm Model-STA-ALUM)
(1/2"-1" Small Wheels Model-SWR-500, 750, 100)

Grinding Belts
$400.00
(www.trugrit.com *assortment*)

Drill Press
$200.00
(www.craftsman.com Model-ZJQ4116D)

Drill Press Vise
$75.00
(www.amazon.com Model-Grizzly G1064)

Etching Machine
$200.00
(www.usaknifemaker.com Model-*Personalizer*)

Buffer/Buffing Supplies
$250.00
(www.pjtool.com Model-10" Dual Speed Buffer/Accessory Kit)

Sheath Press & Rivet Press
$150.00
(www.knifekits.com)
(Rivet Press Model-KYRD-PRS)
(Sheath Press-Handmade with 1" Standard Foam)

Vacuum Chamber/Stabilizing Resin
$300.00
(www.turntex.com Cactus Juice Chamber & Resin)

TOTAL STARTUP COST$3,450.00

If you've got the money, those are all things you would eventually use. A lot aren't necessary right off though. In fact, a lot us made our first knife with a hacksaw and a couple of files. My short list would be the gr

Oops hit wrong spot on phone. As I was saying, my short list would be the grinder, a drill press, and a heat treat oven. You can build an etcher and a vacuum chamber much cheaper than buying.

"IF" I had a $3,000 budget, I'd get a lathe, milling machine, drill press and make the rest of it.

I'd say you aren't far from wrong but the trick is, unless you are going to buy them all at once, getting the order of acquisition correct. I wouldn't purchase or build a 2 X 72 grinder first. I would start out with a HF 1 X 30 because you gotta have a good or better drill press and you gotta have a rotary hand tool ( Think Drimel or Fordom). But, in MHO you MUST, MUST have a metal cutting band saw. This tool allows you to move ahead with dispatch. You can design a knife, lay it out on a piece of steel and have it closely cut out in 15 minutes. And this totally discounts the safety factor. In MHO the most dangerous tool in the knifemakers shop is the buffer, followed closely by the hand held Angle grinder used to cut steel bar. While the 2 X 72 grinder is vital to a professional knifemaker it isn't as important as the first three tools I have mentioned above. If you got the $$$ to buy 'em all, good for you. If you don't, better think priorities.

Wallace

I read your post on bladefourms, you might fill everyone in all what your plans are here to save alot of time and typing for people.

Oops hit wrong spot on phone. As I was saying, my short list would be the grinder, a drill press, and a heat treat oven. You can build an etcher and a vacuum chamber much cheaper than buying.

But will a built DIY etcher give repeatable results for large runs of knives?|

Last edited:
I read your post on bladefourms, you might fill everyone in all what your plans are here to save alot of time and typing for people.

I thought that was said in the original post of this thread? I'm just looking for input on knife making tools for someone starting out, not anything having to do with what people think my skill set is

I'd say you aren't far from wrong but the trick is, unless you are going to buy them all at once, getting the order of acquisition correct. I wouldn't purchase or build a 2 X 72 grinder first. I would start out with a HF 1 X 30 because you gotta have a good or better drill press and you gotta have a rotary hand tool ( Think Drimel or Fordom). But, in MHO you MUST, MUST have a metal cutting band saw. This tool allows you to move ahead with dispatch. You can design a knife, lay it out on a piece of steel and have it closely cut out in 15 minutes. And this totally discounts the safety factor. In MHO the most dangerous tool in the knifemakers shop is the buffer, followed closely by the hand held Angle grinder used to cut steel bar. While the 2 X 72 grinder is vital to a professional knifemaker it isn't as important as the first three tools I have mentioned above. If you got the $$$ to buy 'em all, good for you. If you don't, better think priorities.

Wallace
My blades are going to be cut or by a local company using wire edm, the drill press is only going to be used for drilling holes in the handles, I already have a dremel and angle grinder, worth all the metal cutting being outsourced only metal working I will have to do is grinding the profile on the blade.

My blades are going to be cut or by a local company using wire edm, the drill press is only going to be used for drilling holes in the handles, I already have a dremel and angle grinder, worth all the metal cutting being outsourced only metal working I will have to do is grinding the profile on the blade.

All of your metal cuttting may be outsourced how are you going to cut scales or blocks? I am doing the angle grinder and flapper disk methid and, it takes along time. if you have the space to set up shop and, the money to step up to the professional scale then go for it. You might want to add a band saw for cutting handles out. Just my opine.

But will a built DIY etcher give repeatable results for large runs of knives?|

Shop built etchers are pretty much the same thing as the ones they're selling, at least in my opinion.

I'm just looking for input on knife making tools for someone starting out, not anything having to do with what people think my skill set is

I guess I'd like know what Justin had brought up as well. To me, the words "someone starting out" and "large runs of knives" don't exactly go together. Not trying to be judgmental, just curious what you're planning if you're ok with sharing.

All of your metal cuttting may be outsourced how are you going to cut scales or blocks? I am doing the angle grinder and flapper disk methid and, it takes along time. if you have the space to set up shop and, the money to step up to the professional scale then go for it. You might want to add a band saw for cutting handles out. Just my opine.

My handle material is going to be cut out with a table saw & jigsaw

Ok. Like Self said we dont know your background but something to think about is the comfort if your doing a long run of cutting. I know many of us prefer standing or sitting upright as opposed to hunched over. Is in the end just our opinions and views on what we have experienced and in the end is up to you on whether you follow our advice or do your own thing. Either way best of luck, keep us posted and keep grinding away.

Welcome to the pack here at KDs!
I don't wish to appear rude to you, but.
How many knives have you made so far and how were they made?

some thoughts.
if just starting to work with knives, get either a 1x30 or a 4x36 belt sander. as mentioned, you dont have a metal bandsaw of any kind. if you shop you, you can find a motor/vfd combo, drill press vise, belts, buffer, and rivet press for less than 1/2 what you listed. i know shopping on line can be boring, but i could save enough on the items listed to either buy a small used kiln and quench tank or a port-a-band bandsaw.
it would make more sense to me to buy a metal bandsaw and cut your own blanks and buy stablized scales. there is a thread on waterjet pricing that says $7 to $10 a blade is not unusual. that would be twice what i would pay for the steel(O1 or 1084 or 52100 or AEB-L).
i saw no kiln of any kind, so i guess you are outsourcing heat treat which limits the steels you can use and the blade hardness. didnt see files, good carbide burrs for the dremel, sharpening stones, angle guides, wet/dry vac, sandpaper sheets, good quality screw length drill bits, ....... as I say here alot, JMHO.

Last edited:
I thought that was said in the original post of this thread? I'm just looking for input on knife making tools for someone starting out, not anything having to do with what people think my skill set is
I understand that but you are having some things you are going to outsource which is going to effect what tools you need or don't need. Just trying to stream line it for you.

Sorry if this makes you mad or anything madupree but I think you are holding back info. The people on this forum are very helpful and good people.
Madupree stated on another forum he plans to do a run of 50 knives for a company. He stated he would be outsourcing the blanks being cut out as well as the heat treating. So there are some tools that he would not need like heat treat oven, metal bandsaw exct...

Just trying to save people from giving you info you might not need and save them sometime.

Sorry if that ticks ya off no disrespect meant.

Sorry if this makes you mad or anything madupree but I think you are holding back info. The people on this forum are very helpful and good people.
Madupree stated on another forum he plans to do a run of 50 knives for a company. He stated he would be outsourcing the blanks being cut out as well as the heat treating. So there are some tools that he would not need like heat treat oven, metal bandsaw exct...

Just trying to save people from giving you info you might not need and save them sometime.

Sorry if that ticks ya off no disrespect meant.

No you're good Justin, don't sweat it, i'll post more info.......

A respirator and cartridges, eye/face protection, dust collection system, fire suppression equipment, camera/light box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget to budget for consumables like belts, steel, sandpaper, epoxy, epoxy containers, shipping containers, heat treat costs, postage. You could be looking at another $1000 right there depending on the volume you are trying to produce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back