Possible browser conflict with Knifedogs

Kevin R. Cashen

Super Moderator
[FONT=&quot][/FONT] Hello folks, I have had an issue for some time now but have just worked around it, but I also realize that if anybody but I am having the problem I can only help this forum and its visitors if I let if I share it here.

I am using I-Explorer 11, version 11.0.9600.17501 on a PC running Windows 7.

For some time now I have been unable to participate on the Knifedogs Forum using I-Explorer and must switch to Mozilla on my visits. When entering the main forum overview or any of the sub-forums or threads therein, I-explorer will lock up and give me the “not responding message” and then close. It may take 20 seconds or I may be able to go longer but it is not a matter of “if’ but a matter of “when”. The second issue occurs if I am able to stay functional long enough to post to a thread. Whether I type my message directly into the forums text box or if I type it on my computer and then copy it to the text box, which I must do to avoid I-Explorer locking up, throughout the message spaces between words will be randomly removed when I submit the message. This happens both in forum threads and private messaging.

None of these issues occurs with Mozilla FireFox, which works without any problems at all here, so I have simply resorted to visiting all the other forums in my line-up with I-Explorer and then switching to Mozilla for Knifedogs, but just doing that without letting the tech folks here know about it doesn’t help you work out a possible issue.

I haven't heard this one before.
I will let our contracted support vendor know.
Anyone else?

I found at least one other member having the issue. Last week Jim Moenck entered a post that had many spaces missing in the Heat Treating forum. I asked Jim and he said that the spaces were lost like mine on entering it to the forum I don't know what it means but at least I know I'm not going crazy:3:. or at least as far as this issue is concerned.

Kevin, I just did a post on the heat treat forum. This time I typed directly into the "Post Quick Reply" area. It appears that it was not changed. My first post was written in Word, then copied and pasted in the "Post Quick Reply" box. Something happen in that process to leave spaces out and run words together. Some one smarter than me will have to figure that one out.

Kevin, I just did a post on the heat treat forum. This time I typed directly into the "Post Quick Reply" area. It appears that it was not changed. My first post was written in Word, then copied and pasted in the "Post Quick Reply" box. Something happen in that process to leave spaces out and run words together. Some one smarter than me will have to figure that one out.

Word, I-Explorer... it is probably a Microsoft thing, which shouldn't surprise anybody. I switched to Mozilla for posting here because, unlike your experience, I would retype directly into the forum's text box only to find I was chasing the missing spaces around, when I brought up Firefox it all went away. I have noticed other sites not working as well with I-Explorer as each new generation of it comes out, which is sort of the opposite of what the next version of software is supposed to do. If only the browser could consistently improve with each new version like Windows does, you know like from XP to ME or Vista... oh wait... never mind:3:.

About once a week we get someone looking for a tech answer on a browser issue. It always comes down to the same answer,switch browsers. If the one you switched to stops working after awhile, switch back.

Generally speaking, all of them have issues and then with the constant version and bug fix patches, along with maybe ten different OS systems driving all this, someone is always broken.
Today, if you are going to be active on the net, there isn't one browser I have found that works all the time, every time. I keep both firefox and Explorer pinned to my task bar and routinely have both open depending on if I run into an issue. I also use Safari often on my ipad and it has some problems but I have learned to work around them. Generally, I prefer Firefox but I have less issues with Explorer on commercial type sites.

Back