Hand tools

D.Douglas

I had to contour some bolsters on a slip joint i am working on and wondered if other people might want to check out my method. Having a strong jewelry making background i use a file and a some sanding sticks. The sticks use a 11" strip that are quickly changed out. Great for a little contour. You can rough grind somewhat close say at 45 degrees on the edges then take over with the file and on to a 220 stick and then 320 likkidy split. Very accurate also. I also use a optivisor for a little magnification for my old eyes.
unnamed (2).jpgunnamed (1).jpg

Doug, very interesting!

Where in the world did you get those sanding sticks with the hold down???

Are those sanding sticks a two sided set-up??

Do you use sheet paper cut to fit or are you using rolls of sandpaper for the sanding sticks??

I have never seen any like that! I have some I made from a old thin cutting board and I use a spray adhesive to stick the sand paper, (which can be hit or miss on how well the sandpaper sticks to it) but I have never seen any pre-made with a hold down!! You got my interest!!!

Last edited:
Those are awsome sanding sticks,at one time I had a full on custome bow shop and made recurves and longbows,I have many crossover tool's.whenever I'm looking at tools my mind is always looking for a way to use some tooling from one craft to use in a different way.At the moment I'm working on converting a die grinder into a two handed rotory conture sander.

Thanks for the links, I have some I made like I said but, what I like about these is the fastener! :clap:

Back