C130 and copper scale for a straight razor

cardoso5fr

A straight razor 5/8, c130 steel, differential water hardened blade, double tempering to 200°c. Near wedge, vintage completion. Plumbery copper tube cut and solder to have a very basic scale, fastly done and fully efficient in the way of the vintage blade. The copper is hammered and bead blasted to give him some "springness" after the solder.

DSC07764.jpg

DSC07765.jpg

DSC07766.jpg

DSC07767.jpg

DSC07768.jpg

DSC07769.jpg

DSC07770.jpg

DSC07771.jpg

DSC07772.jpg

DSC07773.jpg

Nice! I like the coppers hand worked look. And the blade turned out very well. Did you cut the tang with a checkering file? I am working on a straight razor now. Not sure what scales I am going to use yet.

Yes i use a 00 checkering file for the tang (a bit polished because it was a bit too rough :D

In europe, guys enjoy the wood, in usa it's hard wood, or something more technical as g10, carbon fiber. Copper is good to have a vintage look, but it's not traditionnal at all. Horn, bone, ivory and nice wood are often good choice. I don't enjoy horn at all (the odor and it's not water friendly) but in the past that was used very often.

i use titanium, g10, copper, stainless steel, carbon fiber,

1/16" g10 from usa knifemaker is perfect to make ultra easly straight razor scale. Strong and flexible enough to make exactly what you want ultra fastly without effort :D

It's function of you blade and what you want to show, with a nice and perfectly shiny blade, a copper scale as i did will not matched at all :D. Iron wood or a nice ebony would be perfect. Buffallo horn give something ultra nice but as i said, i don't enjoy horn :D

With carbon fiber you have always a good look, class and efficient.

With G10 you have a modern look, but it won't fit with the way of thinking of a lot of guy (french especially .... :))

With titanium, you can have something really fun , but there are not a lot a straight maker whose use ti for scale.

With stainless, that is functional, but heavy. It's for an "utilitarian" straight razor which need a great protection during numerous travel :D

Bone give always something interesting, especially after some year, but the odor is not great during the work.

I hope to have given to you some idea :D

Back