The Awesomeness that is this Forum

OkieCowboy

I saw a post the other day, talking about the slowdown here in the Knifedogs forum, I started to comment but, I really have not been around long enough to know if things are slow or not.. but I would like to comment on what I do know.. .. tho this forum may seem like old news, and old hat to some, there are still those of those that are so thankful to have the information and the people that come here.. being new and trying to learn, often with many questions, a simple search, or posting will provide me with answers from some of the best in the biz, 20 years ago i would have spent tons of money on books and classes for the amount of info i can pick up here in a week.
Thru this forum I have been able to make contact with a couple of guys on facebook who have been very helpful in answering questions, Self Made Knives, and Brandon M. who even opened up his shop to me and gave me some hands on training that was amazing.

So I just want to say thanks to all the folks that come and visit here and answer questions from new guys like me, and to Bossdog for keeping things going.

Thanks for the mention, although I don't know if I deserve it. But, I do enjoy making new friends with similar interests and this a great place for that. For me, I don't know of any local makers so this is my only outlet for talking about knife making. My wife's eyes glaze over now when I start to talk about it, she try's to look interested, but it not the same as you guys.

We had a good day in the shop. We covered almost everything I wanted to get to. Hopefully it gets you going in the right direction. Please don't hesitate to call or text. We can always set up another play date as well. :)

Know what you mean. In post I'm kinda old but, I'm still new and have made friends all across the globe here. When I'm really stumped you all are, here for me in my self considered emergency, just a call away. I do have a few makers I meet with locally and they are on here too. Okie your right about sense of family and goodwill to each other that's here.

This is the most open, family centered, and informative place on the web.

Thank you Tracy and all the Dogs for that!

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more! Gentlemen, thank you all for your help this year. It is crazy to think that until March of this year, I never even thought about making a knife. I only have 5 completed knives so far (and about 6 more in the works) but I think I am hooked.
I can't wait to see what next year holds.
- J

This is now the only forum I use. By far and away the best crop of members on a knife forum. No drama, condescension, elitism, and forum masters aren't egotistical tools nickel and diming you everywhere. When I'm here, I see support for others, and learn a lot. I'm always stress on other forums, and usually mad at someone. Just a well run, well used forum. That's why I'm coming on board as an official sponsor in 2015.

I saw a post the other day, talking about the slowdown here in the Knifedogs forum, I started to comment but, I really have not been around long enough to know if things are slow or not.. but I would like to comment on what I do know.. .. tho this forum may seem like old news, and old hat to some, there are still those of those that are so thankful to have the information and the people that come here.. being new and trying to learn, often with many questions, a simple search, or posting will provide me with answers from some of the best in the biz, 20 years ago i would have spent tons of money on books and classes for the amount of info i can pick up here in a week.
Thru this forum I have been able to make contact with a couple of guys on facebook who have been very helpful in answering questions, Self Made Knives, and Brandon M. who even opened up his shop to me and gave me some hands on training that was amazing.

So I just want to say thanks to all the folks that come and visit here and answer questions from new guys like me, and to Bossdog for keeping things going.

When I started in 96 I was fortunate enough to be in the part of the country where the late Robert "Bob Loveless lived and had his shop. I and a local gentleman that also helped me immensely Frank McGill a retired hob best maker that took me to a open door saturday gig that Loveless had at his shop.

I will tell you that I had never met before or since such a opinionated crotchety man. Whew! But when he starting talkin knives the amount of knowledge and his willingness to share was such a new experience to me.

You want to make a knife? :12: Go choose a templet off the wall over there and marking it out on a piece of steel,now come over here to this grinder and profile it. NO! Not like that! :49: Like! this!:12: .. By the way, I'm sure Mr loveless that's in his knife shop in the sky would love the compliments I have just given him.:3:

Like Steven said, You will be hard pressed to find a better bunch of people and I've hung out with a few interest groups.

Back