Slippy, my first

Mark Behnke

This knife started 4 years ago with
Bruce Bumps "Swayback Wharncliffe WIP" http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?9824-Swayback-Wharncliffe-How-To

Thank you Bruce it never would have happened without your WIP I've read it a thousand times.

I started and made a pattern from an old pruning knife, made a crude fixture and profiled a blade and spring from 1084 then I stalled out and put it in a box for later, much later.

Slippy1003_zpsedf8f0ab.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Starting again I ordered A2 PG stock made a "rise and fall fixture and a tooling plate, then put a adjustable table on my drill press to tram it in.

Slippy1005_zps76d6dfa3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Blade came out RC 61 and spring Rc 51 zeroed out on open and half stop but screwed up the close and is .005 off, has a good walk and talk but could be better.
I'm hooked love making these and plan on starting another right away.

Slippy1007_zps48cc854f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Slippy1008_zps64c5ab59.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Slippy1009_zps1bb01d0c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Slippy1011_zpse2e8de24.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Slippy1012_zps7ab86106.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Slippy1013_zps6d96772a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Your first? That's NICE!!! Blade centered, all looks really good. Good photos also.

Ken H>

That brought back some memories, years ago as a lowly carpenter I carried a pruner every day to clean up wood joints and sharpen pencils.
Thanks for sharing.

Great work,
Steve

Thanks Arock and Steve, I always like to sharpen a pencil right after I sharpen a knife.

Laurence I think it should have a nail nick, but I got excited about finishing it up and skipped that step, it is a nail breaker and would still need to grab with thumb and forefinger. . I need to make a fixture to hold the blade so I can mill one in on the next ones. A lot to learn with these.

I'd like to add that I didn't use bushings on this one, just a 3/32" pin SS didn't get the pins to disappear in the bolsters, next time.

Slippy1002_zps98944193.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks Don,

I bought your book before starting this and have read it cover to cover many times , couldn't have made this knife without it.

Many tips and procedures not found elsewhere highly recommended.

I'll be referencing it in the future to do the nail nicks.

Thanks again
Mark

Mark, that sure looks better than the original. But, let's see how it looks after 40 or 50 years of good, hard use.
Nice job.

Great start indeed, congratulations!! :)
I also left the nicknail out on my first take, and am currently trying a way to cut one on scrap with unsatisfactory results... i don't have a mill or surface grinder and consider insightable the nicks obtained with the dremel cut-off wheels...better nickless 100%!!!
Any suggestions for cutting the poor-man nicknail? ;)

Back