Makers Mark in Kydex

Self Made Knives

Hey guys, just discovered something today, sort of a happy accident! I honestly have no idea if anyone's doing this, they probably are, but I don't recall seeing it. I was making a kydex sheath, a one piece style with a fold over belt loop. I needed 3 hands for minute and grabbed a little spring clamp. Ooops! Thought I had mess up my belt loop. I wasn't watching and the clamp actually was on the kydex and left it's impression in it. A few seconds with the heat gun and the impression went away, no big deal.

But, a light bulb went off! What if.........

Take your kydex and decide where you want your makers mark to be. Here's a scrap piece I tested the idea on. See what happens if you put a clamp on it while its still hot?
photo 1a.jpg photo 2a.jpg photo 3a.jpg

After seeing this, light bulb moment! Remember that custom Derlin leather stamp I had made a couple weeks ago..... Also notice that it just happens to be about the same size as the end of a heat gun.

photo 5a.jpg photo 6.jpg

So, keeping the heat close and centered to the spot you want it, warm up the area for the impression and quickly clamp the stamp down on it.

photo 7.jpgphoto 8.jpg

And, here's what you get. Awesome!!!!

photo 15.jpg

Theres the use for the scraps of kydex mabbe? Include with the knife purchase and theres a bit of advertisement. is a great idea to use the leather stamp that way.

I haven't tried it yet on the textured side, but I'd guess it would work just the same and probably look better. The way I've been making most of the sheaths for my Lancer model leaves a good non-textured spot on the back of the belt loop that looked kind of plain anyway.

Yeah Walt, if you just made a round tag and drilled a hole in it you'd have a good little brand tag to attach to your product. Might be more trouble than it's worth?

If you just made them in a tear drop shape with a fold over a length of paracord could be a bit easier? Use up scrap cord too. Is all what you want to do it is your time brother.

Back