Knife number six slip joint folder with AEB-L steel (Photo Over Load)

JPSWorks

Knife number six slip joint folder with AEB-L steel (Photo Over Load) With Video Now

Hello fellow knife dogs. I just completed knife number six two nights ago and was able to take a bunch of pictures yesterday that I would like to post. I am very proud of this knife as I think it is by far the most quality knife I have made to date. I still have a lot to learn mostly trial by error. But I learned a lot on this one. Lesson here was finding the right spring temper temps for the AEB-l steel. 1000 deg for 2 hours is the golden number for me. The second one was using Staybrite flux and solder with stainless steel liners and bolsters. Thanks to everyone who assisted me with these things. I couldn't get pics with bright sunlight since it has been overcast for the last week, so the beautiful stabalized Hawaiian KOA I purches here on Burlsource doesn't show its normal 3 dimensional look in the photos. By the way, I took the pics before I put the edge on the blade as you can see in the pics.

Now don't get me wrong, there are still little issues here and there with scratches I didn't get removed, I need a better nail nick.(the one I did with the dremel in the drill press wasn't deep enough so most of it was ground when grinding the bevel. I also want to get a personalizer, and stencils to put my maker mark on the knives. I still need a lot more grinding time to get the lines even on each side on toward the top of the blade. The ricasso area is at least even since I used my new Bruce Bump file guide and ground free hand on the flat platten of my KMG. But my main goal is to just make each knive better than the last as most suggest on this board. Then one day I might sell one to someone. Currently however I just keep making the knives and keeping them for myself, because flaws and all, I made them and it gives me a great sense of satisfaction to carry or use them.

I also want to thank Gary Crowder for his time and knowledge. I was able to spend a day in his shop in Oklahoma having him teach me how he builds a slip joint folder. I learned a tremendous amount that day, as well as learning that he is a great and generous person who not only made me feel welcome, but he also game me the slipjoint knife that he built for me that day in the shop. He doesn't get on many forums any more and will probably never see this, but I want to give credit where credit is due. Now I just need to find a spot welder so I can start attaching the bolsters that way. Per his recommendation I am going to try to build at least 10 of this type of slip joint so that I can learn the process better before moving on to another design.

Ok on to the pics(photo overload). I can never just choose a couple so I will just post a lot of them here. Hope you don't mind.

PS. I am now working on knives 7 and 8 and 9, all slip joints. Man I love making these knives.

John

Last edited:
Awesome! You should be proud, that looks great. I love the Koa and I'm sure it looks even better in person. I like the thinness of the knife too. Yeah, I can see your grind height difference, but it's not bad, I don't think most people (non-makers) would even notice it. Is the blade rubbing on the liners? Looks like its kind of scratching an arc in a little. I say get a makers mark on there and sell the next one. I think you're ready.

Awesome! You should be proud, that looks great. I love the Koa and I'm sure it looks even better in person. I like the thinness of the knife too. Yeah, I can see your grind height difference, but it's not bad, I don't think most people (non-makers) would even notice it. Is the blade rubbing on the liners? Looks like its kind of scratching an arc in a little. I say get a makers mark on there and sell the next one. I think you're ready.
Thank you for the kind words. You are correct about the arcing scratches on the blade. Since I still don't have access to a mill I am unable to relieve the liners. Hoping to save money for a small grizzly mill I'm the next couple of months.

John

Excellent, looks like you've overcome all the major hurdles and then some.

I'm getting close to finishing my first, had the three positions right on, then screwed up the closed position decided to finish it up and will do more.

Really enjoy making these.

Mark

I see lots of quality in that folder ! And I like it too ! Have you thought about using .005" shims? There are many makers doing this, some with every slip joint they make and some off and on. Good for you, John. Frank

John,
Welcome to the slipjoint obsession.
You did good on that one,keep up the good work.
Looking forward to seeing more.

A very beautiful folder ... wonderful blade design and finishing!
Congratulations and thanks a lot for showing to us ... and excuse my poor english!
Regards from Brazil,
Lourival

I just uploaded a quick video of the knife to show the walk and talk and a little cutting test. It cut fine in the video but not perfect. I looked at it under my working microscope and could see some flat spot that needed thinned to a sharp edge. It was much better the second time around.

[video=youtube_share;IfgAozaH36Q]http://youtu.be/IfgAozaH36Q[/video]

One last thing I did was very lightly ground down the kick after taping up the blade and handle to avoid scratching anything. The tip of the blade was just a hair too high and I noticed my finger would catch on it. Not something I want or anyone else for that matter. Just the slightest removal of the kick was enough to drop the blade out of catching range.

John

Hey, now I am liking that one, the shape the, the size and the wood scales, two thumbs up! Now each one will improve till you don't have any flaws,eeeeeeeeer the knife I mean!:biggrin:

All stuff aside I really do like that one!

Back