Need help identifying a knife

I recently got this knife from my late grandfather who was an a knife maker/ collector no one knows what this knife is or where he got it from so I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this mystery
2a5f683a08f733592527ad11e6c9d54f.jpg
cb6063013a7f397eb2a6545d603c793b.jpg

attachment.php
A kukri. Although there are many spellings. The kukri (Nepali: खुकुरी khukuri) is a Nepalese knife with an inwardly curved edge, similar to a machete, used as both a tool and as a weapon in Nepal and neighbouring countries of South Asia. Traditionally it was, and in many cases still is, the basic utility knife of the Nepalese people. It is a characteristic weapon of the Nepalese Army, the Royal Gurkha Rifles and of all Gurkha regiments throughout the world, so much so that many English-speakers refer to the weapon as a "Gurkha blade" or "Gurkha knife". The kukri often appears in Nepalese heraldry and is used in many traditional rituals such as wedding ceremonies.

If your ancestor was in the service anywhere from southeast asia to China or any of the British Empire, this could have been brought back as a war souvenier.

Polished_kukri.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure you would like to hear your kukri is worth a lot because it is old. There may have been millions of these made and they are all old. These still continue to surface as "new, old stock" from storage across old Persia. You can buy these today for $25 or even less. These often have sentimental value if handed down in a family but for the foreseeable future, they likely aren't going to be worth a lot.

They chop like a bugger and are fun to use. Go attack an unruley hedge in the back yard and have some fun with it.

The rounded brass final on the sheath tells me it is a older one, maybe military issue. The handles were usually made of buffalo horn. If you type in kukri on Ebay you will see what I mean. The touristy ones have a point on the end of the sheath.

Wow nice pics.
Actually these fixed blade knives which a broad edge is gurkha khukris knives which is also known as the national weapon of Nepal. These are the most common tool used for combat fight in Nepal. These kukri knives are also being used by the regimental army around the world with the name of Gurkha Regiment.
I also have a Gurkha kukri knife in my collection as well.

Back