Flipper prototype #2

Calvin Robinson

Moderator Christian Forum
This is my second flipper prototype, it flips quicker and easier than my first attempt due to some changes in the geometry. I'll try to figure out how to post a video of it when I get time. Although it has some flaws I'm happy with it and will be building some more for sale that will be flawless.
The blade is 4" long and 1/8" thick,14C28N @ 62 Rc,flat ground,with a silicon carbide blasted finish. It pivots on a stainless steel pin,bushing,bronze washer system.
The knife is 5 1/4" long closed and weighs 5.2 oz. I built the frame from titanium,with integral liners/bolsters and Jade G-10 scales. The rear spacer is titanium as is the pocket clip.
After blasting the titanium with silicon carbide I anodized it at 15 volts to get the dark bronze color.
I welcome your criticism,compliments,thoughts and questions,let me know what you think.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 51
Thanks Brad. I like your "classy tactical" description. Maybe Blade Magazine should adopt that instead of that silly"Gentacal" they are using to describe dress tactical knives.

Thank you all for your kind words.
We shot the video of this thing in action this morning,maybe we will have it up on YouTube tonight or in the morning.

I like it a lot Calvin. The jade G10 and bronze anodize make for a crisp, striking look. Like the double bolsters as well.

I hope to do a flipper some day very inspiring. Good to the point vid, one question what is the hole in the front bolster for?

Thanks Mark

I hope to do a flipper some day very inspiring. Good to the point vid, one question what is the hole in the front bolster for?

Thanks Mark

Mark,
That hole is the hole I drill through from my first frame half in to my second frame half to locate and line up the stop pin of the second frame half.
You see ,I always make my first frame half from my pattern but make the second frame half by using my first frame half as a pattern,that way they are mirror images of each other. I always drill all my holes with a 0-80 tap drill,it easier and more accurate to transferr holes from one part to another using these small holes. The hole you see exposed is the original 0-80 tap drill hole,what you don't see is the 1/8" blind holes that the stop pin fits into,they are hidden inside the knife. On a liner lock you wouldn't have these holes,all holes are covered by bolsters,scales or have screws in them but this is a frame lock,thus,FLF-15 (Frame Lock Flipper,2015).
Is that as clear as mud?:biggrin:

Last edited:
Back