Glue up liners

Justin Presson

Got a question about liners that I want to clarify if you fellas can for a rookie.

What is standard quality practice for gluing up liners. I have yet to do it and am about to on a knife.

Do you use the same epoxy as you normally do or something else? I have read old post but seem to see mixed answers some say epoxy and I see others say super glue and is super glue is ok is that just the over the shelf stuff?

I plan to glue the liners up to the scales first to make life easier.

Thanks
Justin

If you're talking about gluing liners 'n scales to a full tang, I usually do it all at once. Touch tang with 36 grit for a good bite, degrease tang, coat tang, liners, and scale with a good coat of epoxy, put pins in and clamp. Set it back until next day when epoxy is well cured.

Ken H>

Sandblasting the mating surfaces maximizes the surface area of the bond. You can then pin or mechanically connect things depending on how strong you want the blade/handle connection to be.

Have fun

I only use CA for temporary adhesion. When I use liners, I use epoxy to bond them to the scales. I find that gluing the liner to the scales first and then work them as a single set of scales is much easier.

Some epoxy the lines to the scales then drill them and put it together.

I personally mix up a batch of G-Flex, and put liner to scale, tang to liner, liner to tang, scale to liner with a healthy buttering of G-flex at each step and then tighten down those Loveless bolts, check for epoxy coming out at the ricasso area and wipe off with Acetone if needed and let cure for 24-36 hrs.

I epoxy the liners to the scale, then epoxy the set to the tang. I pin them on smaller knives and use corbys on larger ones. I ckean up and run out epoxy after about 10 minutes. The only epoxy I use is GFlex.

oh crap, I thought you were supposed to super glue your finger to the liner and epoxy the liner to the scale/tang...maybe that's been my problem.

I don't glue anything until I am ready for assembly. I temporarily stick things together with double sided sticky tape so I can work the handle and scales both together or separately as needed. Some scale materials such as G-10 or metal don't glue up well enough to mess with it, so the tape comes in handy.

I use Go2 Glue for gluing liners to scales. The Go2 Glue seems to be a cross between CA and rubber cement. It dries with a rubbery feel to it. I put a bead of it on the scale and then rub the liner against the scale until the entire scale and liner is coated with the glue. I then clamp them and let them dry. I then drill the holes for pins. I usually use Corbys or Loveless screws when I use liners, to help hold everything together.

Back