Review of kydex rivet dies....

Self Made Knives

Hey guys, just wanted to share my experience with the Boss's kydex dies. I kept watching the store and they were out of stock for long time earlier in the year, but when he finally got some in I ordered a set. Yeah, they seem kind of pricey at first, but after I squeezed a few eyelets, wow, way better than the old hand setter. Thought about writing it up as a WIP, but wasn't sure if anybody would want to see it.

I already had a little arbor press to use, but after taking it apart to get the ram out, how do you drill your holes? My little mill didn't have enough throat to drill it, my drill press seemed too unstable. Ended up chucking into my lathe with a 4 jaw chuck, centered it, drilled a 3/8" hole in the end. Then I drilled and tapped a 2-56 allen head set screw into the side.

After reassembly and putting the male die in the upper ram I hit the bottom block with some layout dye and dropped the point down to scribe an arc. Drilled another 3/8" hole in the bottom press plate and I was in business. I left my table's center dowel pin in, even though some say to remove it to let the table float. I use the press for other things too, so I didn't want to modify it. As long as you drill holes accurately and square, it's fine left in.

Perfect eyelets, none of the black finish is scratched, and WAAAAYYYY less stressing about how they come out. If you're still using the hand setter and a hammer, I do recommend upgrading to these.

Thanks Boss, very good product.

Yeah, I got a set of the 1/4" dies a few weeks back and I honestly don't know how they could be any better. I guess they could be better if he gave them away. HEHEHE
Seriously though, I don't mind paying for quality which is what these are.
Now I gotta get a 3/16" set and a set of tube flaring dies and I'll be hooked up.

I want some flaring dies too! Does Boss sell those? I was thinking about making my own set, need to research it a bit first though.

I've enjoyed getting into kydex....for other stuff besides knife sheaths as well.....I used a hand setter for these so I might have to check out boss's dies...

2014-12-08_07-59-50_460.jpg

Looks great. Seems like I could keep the good side of the rivets looking ok with the hand setter, but the backside was hit or miss. Sometimes perfect, sometimes they look liked was working blindfolded with a sledge hammer. I was having a lot of them with black finish rubbed off here or there.

Wow! I have a long way to fine tune my riveting. I do use a sledge because its what I have. What are you using for a persuader?

Back