80CRV2 and Hamon

Freds Edge

Has anyone had experience with 80CRV2 and Hamon. I'm doing a large chopper and would like to add a Hamon.

I used to try quite a bit with it. You can get a decent 'quench line' but true hamon with much activity is tough. It has some manganese and too much chromium. It's a deeper hardening steel.

As I gained more experienced with that steel, I learned that trying to differentially harden it, I was actually fighting the against the alloying elements that are there to do the exact opposite as the hamon I was trying to force.

You'd get a better hamon out of 1084 (still not all that great) and a much better one from 1075 or w2 and still be in the same ballpark as far as performance.

IMG_3465.jpgThanks John , I was thinking that may be the case , when I looked at the chemistry I though I may have a problem . I did make a hatchet from this sheet of 80CRV2 and I liked the result so I think I will Just go and forget the Hamon .​

it is a great steel for shock resistance and also holds a very good edge. Better than 5160 at both. But, it is a deep hardening steel. I tried a hamon on it too, and the whole blade hardened. First time I tried it. I made a nice messer from that, O1, and 15N20, hardened in canola.

it is very good steel, though. I would humbly suggest W2 for a slicer, but 80crv2 for a chopper, at least that is my preference for each.

Although I was using 1080+ (formulations between the two steels varying slightly), my experience was the same.....good solid hardening line....but not a "hamon". WONDERFUL steel.

Back