Small Peanut..Bruce I need some info on this thing!

J S Machine

Bruce, I am in several slipjoint facebook groups, and I asked the question yesterday about what kinds of patterns were popular and sought after. Of the many designs I had mentioned, one called a small peanut had a fair amount of attention. A guy named Jim Todd offered up pictures of one that he had gotten from you. Most of these guys are not makers so they are not aware of the difficulty that might be involved. One made the comment that Tony Bose told him he would never do another one..Please enlighten me on any details about this design. I'd like to attempt one, but I need to know what to watch out for before hand. I see that on the one you made, it has a 2" clip blade and a 1 3/8" pen blade, and is only 2 3/16" long. Is it just that it is so small? Is that the scary thing? Any pictures and advice you may have is welcomed. Thanks

Hey John,
I did make only one peanut. I had an order from Jim Todd to make a peanut. I took apart an elcheapo that was about what he wanted for the pattern. I modified it somewhat and sent it out to be waterjet cut so I could have a few more in stock. The waterjet guy already had some ready to go and sent me his kit. I was a bit put out because it was a kit knife and not my own pattern. Jim said go ahead and finish it. I changed just a few small things on the kit. It came out pretty good really. The kit is available in 3 sizes right here at Midwest Knife Supply. I say buy one and try it. I'd buy another kit and put elmax blades in if I were to do it again. Hope this helps.

The challenge is the small size and the offset blades. The blades need to be ground more on one side than the other so they don't crash into each other when folded. The nail nick is another thing. Its easy to make them too big.
A good thing is there is lots of handle material available for a set of scales this small.
I hope this is helpful

Very much helpful. Thanks for the info. I've never done a two blade but I might try one. I'm going do a few more slippies. I have some ATS-34, and I have a piece of Elmax left from another build that may be good enough to get at least one blade out of.

John, the peanut has a center liner that I forgot about. Crashing blades together is not a problem I think you could leave it out and simply grind some relief on the main blade. This would be simpler and let the knife be that much thinner.

Back