New Grinder - what will I need?

wmhammond

OK, I'm giving up. I've dipped into my wife's "New Car" money and I am going to purchase an LB 1000 from Chris Williams next week - Hopefully I will have it by Christmas. In the mean time I want to be able to hit the ground running when it gets here so I am thinking about what belts I should buy to get ready. I should say that my experience is with a HF 1 X 30 and I polish most blades to mirror finish so if I were buying a complement of 1 X 30 belts to get started it would be similar to the following:

5 - Norton 60 Grit Blaze Plus Ceramic
5 - Norton 120 Grit Blaze Plus Ceramic
5 - Norton 220 Grit Ceramic
5 - Klingspor 320 Grit Aluminum Oxide
5 - Klingspor 400 Grit Aluminum Oxide
5 - Klingspor 600 Grit Aluminum Oxide
5 - Klingspor 800 Grit Aluminum Oxide
2 - 3M 9Mic Diamond Micron

My question would be could someone suggest to me a similar list for the LB - 1000 2 X72 grinder. Additionally, are there other items that I will need to maximize use of the LB?

Thanks guys,

Wallace

I buy VSM belts from www,trugrit.com They are the belt value I have found. They don't last more than one or two blades but the only cost $3-5.00 and I like fresh grinding belts when grinding hardened steel.

Blaze are a good belt and do last a long time. I buy belts like this.
36gt, 60gt, 120gt, in ceramic and then go to my finishing which can be Scotch brite all the way to the Blue or Norax to 15. Double grits each belt seems to work the best.
I do the same with Hermes A/O for handle work.

Your price break with most retailers is at 10 belts of each grit. I buy ten of each.

i have had a LB-1000 for about a year and am very happy with it. just checked wilmont site and LB1000 is sold out. would suggest the following:
norton norzon 220 belts, work well wet
3 phase 1740rpm motor and VFD in combination with 3" drive wheel(the LB1000 is $200 less if you dont need a motor). this will let you get belt speed down to 500 fpm or less so you can have spark free finishing
12"x12"x1/2" piece of aluminum for work surface. i found the stock one a little small.

Thanks Scott. I've talked to Chris and he said he should have a couple in a week or so. Got the aluminum left over from building a bigger surface for my 1 X 30. What is a VFD and where would I buy the motor and how much? Thanks,

Wallace

There is a great beginners list of belts Midwest knife makers supply. It helped me a ton when I was trying to figure out the must haves. Trying to figure out what you need can be a daunting task

Hey Wallace congrats I have a LB 1000 too. I made a new rest for the second tool arm slot and that is so much easier to adjust. I will take pics when I get a chance

Back