Cutting Titanium

Brad Lilly

Moderator and Awards Boss
I thought I would ask another titanium question. What is the best method for cutting titanium? I use zip disks for the little I have done but I someone must have a better way. In particular I'm thinking about cutting the lock bar on a liner lock.

Thanks in advance

Brad,
I don't know what a Zip disk is but I use a dremmel cut off disk,.925" thick. I cut the long cut with it chucked up in my drill press,with the liner held in a small machinist vice that I can move back and forth,I will usually use up two disk in this operation.
I make the short cut with the disk chucked in my Shearline lathe.

Personally, I use a heavy duty 3" "cut off" wheel on a mandrel that mounts in my milling machine. I clamp the liner (with a piece of aluminum for a backer) into the milling vise.....line up the vertical, then turn the milling machine on it's highest speed setting.......usually takes several passes to cut all the way through a liner (between .050 and .080" thick liners)

Early on I tried using a dremel and cut-off wheels, but with Ti you can go through a whole package of cut off wheels, and never finish the cut. Another option that I've had success with is a carbide "slitting" saw......2" diameter blade, mount in the mill...and LOTS of coolant. It's likely the most efficient way I've tried, but can get messy with the coolant, and those carbide slitting blades are not cheap! :)

Calvin , did you mean .0925'' thick , I was wondering as I have cut them with a 3/32 end mill.
What I ment to put was,.025" thick,sorry for that huge error. I shouldn't be posting anything when I've had as little sleep as I've had today.:biggrin:

Fred - Do you use a 3/32 carbide end mill to cut the Ti?

Also what does everyone recommend for the type of drill bits, end mills and taps to use on Ti? HSS, Cobalt, Tin coated, etc.

Brad not trying to highjack your thread. I'm in the planning stage of making my first liner lock and have not had any experience with Ti and thought I'd asked the questions while some of our experienced members are replying to this thread.

Jim

For me personally, I was a bit fearful when I first decided to work with Ti.....so many "urban legends" and all. After learning to work with it, I actually perfer it to most other materials. The reason? Its so consistent, meaning that every single piece of Ti you work with (provided its the same grade) works the same.....no hard or soft spots, no one area milling, drilling, or grinding differently from another.

Personally I use a lot of the same type of tooling that I do for steel, the trick is to understand that you must change the speeds and feeds. Of course I'd love to use ONLY carbide on it, but like most I have to balance between what will get the job done, with what my pocketbook will allow. :) Drills tend to be cobalt, and I save my $$ for carbide end mills.

For me drilling was were I had to change my methods the most...if you try to "bull" you way through a piece of Ti, you either end up wrecking a drill bit at the least, or at the worst end of welding the bit to the Ti. I use what I call "tap drilling", meaning that I use light "taps" of the drill bit to remove a bit of material, then let the bit up, add a drop of collant, and do it all again, until I make my way through. When it comes to milling, I think a person is money ahead using carbide....it just does everything better when it come to Ti.
The biggest differene I found with Ti versus steel is that Ti gets a lot of burrs on the exit side of holes and other cut operations. When it comes to grinding on Ti, slow speeds and sharp belts are the ticket....grind too hard on a piece of Ti, and it creates a burr that won't "knock" off like to will on steel.....the only way to get it off is to actually grind off the burr.

That all might sound scary, but its not......as with any material we use, it just takes a bit of learning HOW to work it, and once you figure it out, its "easy". :)

Just a quick note,
Years ago, I being a no nothing about Ti got a piece from a customer that wanted me to grind a knife out of it for him.

I fired up the grinder at full speed and the sparks showered off the Ti and I found myself with what I found out later is called Welder's Flash! A Migraine Headache like no other! With me lying on the floor of my shop. So,
Since then I have never ground TI again.

But I have learned that you want to be in a well ventilated place and wear a respirator , grind slowly and possibly wear welder's glasses if you find yourself getting headachy when working Ti?

My case seems to be the extreme, Still I advise a little caution until you know how you will respond.

Have fun and stay safe!

There definately are "material specific" dangers when working Ti..... as Laurence mentioned, the sparks are white hot, which brings to mind one of it's issues.....DO NOT let piles of Ti dust build up on or around your grinder.....if anyone has ever seen a magniesium (spelling?) fire, Ti dust does the same thing! Water won't put the fire out....only spreads it around. Another danger with griding Ti is Vanadium poisioning.....which is where the headaches that Laurence mentioned come from.

Back